Posted on 2018-06-27, by nokia241186.
Why Baseball Matters (Why X Matters Series) by Susan Jacoby
English | March 20th, 2018 | ASIN: B07B51F81J, ISBN: 0300224273 | 219 Pages | EPUB | 3.26 MB
Baseball, first dubbed the "national pastime" in print in 1856, is the country's most tradition-bound sport. Despite remaining popular and profitable into the twenty-first century, the game is losing young fans, among African Americans and women as well as white men. Furthermore, baseball's greatest charm-a clockless suspension of time-is also its greatest liability in a culture of digital distraction.
These paradoxes are explored by the historian and passionate baseball fan Susan Jacoby in a book that is both a love letter to the game and a tough-minded analysis of the current challenges to its special position-in reality and myth-in American culture. The concise but wide-ranging analysis moves from the Civil War-when many soldiers played ball in northern and southern prisoner-of-war camps-to interviews with top baseball officials and young men who prefer playing online "fantasy baseball" to attending real games.
Revisiting her youthful days of watching televised baseball in her grandfather's bar, the author links her love of the game with the informal education she received in everything from baseball's history of racial segregation to pitch location. Jacoby argues forcefully that the major challenge to baseball today is a shortened attention span at odds with a long game in which great hitters fail two out of three times. Without sanitizing this basic problem, Why Baseball Matters remind us that the game has retained its grip on our hearts precisely because it has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to reinvent itself in times of immense social change.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36547
- 2020-08-03Why Preservation Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Why Trilling Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Why Niebuhr Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Why Translation Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Why Acting Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Why the Romantics Matter (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-10-06[PDF] Why Architecture Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-01-16[PDF] Why Acting Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Why Translation Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Why Architecture Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Why the Romantics Matter (Why X Matters Series)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Why Trilling Matters (Why X Matters Series)
- 2016-12-04Why the Romantics Matter (Why X Matters Series) by Peter Gay
- 2017-11-17[PDF] All About Science: Philosophy, History, Sociology & Communication (Science Matters Series - Volume 3)
- 2012-09-22SUPER WHY - Breakthrough Preschool Series
- 2012-03-30SUPER WHY! - Breakthrough Preschool Series
- 2010-01-11Private Women, Public Lives: Gender and the Missions of the Californias (Chicana Matters Series) - Removed
- 2010-01-11Forgetting the Alamo, Or, Blood Memory: A Novel (Chicana Matters Series) - Removed
- 2011-06-23English Matters - special edition (United Kingdom) (with Audio)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.