[share_ebook] Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature
Author: Philip Kitcher
Publisher: The MIT Press
Posted on 2011-08-06, by sharebookfree.
Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature
Philip Kitcher | The MIT Press | 1987-03-06 | 470 pages | English | PDF
Vaulting Ambition is the first extensive and detailed evaluation of the controversial claims that sociobiologists have made about human nature and human social behavior. It raises the "sociobiology debate" to a new level, moving beyond arguments about the politics of the various parties involved, the degree to which sociobiology assumes genetic determinism, or the falsifiability of the general theory.Sociobiology has made a great deal of noise in the popular intellectual culture. Vaulting Ambition cuts through the charges and counter-charges to take a hard look at the claims and analyses offered by the sociobiologists. It examines what the claims mean, how they relate to standard evolutionary theory, how the biological models are supposed to work, and what is wrong with the headline-grabbing proclamations of human sociobiology. In particular, it refutes the notions that humans are trapped by their evolutionary biology and history in endlessly repeating patterns of aggression, xenophobia, and deceitfulness, or that the inequities of sex, race, and class are genetically based or culturally determined. And it takes up issues of human altruism, freedom, and ethics as well.Kitcher weighs the evidence for sociobiology, for human sociobiology, and for "the pop sociobiological view" of human nature that has engendered the controversy. He concludes that in the field of nonhuman animal studies, rigorous and methodologically sound work about the social lives of insects, birds, and mammals has been done. But in applying the theories to human beings-where even more exacting standards of evidence are called for because of the potential social disaster inherent in adopting a working hypothesis as a basis for public policy - many of the same scientists become wildly speculative, building grand conclusions from what Kitcher shows to be shoddy analysis and flimsy argument.While it may be possible to develop a genuine science of human behavior based on evolutionary biology, genetics, cognition, and culture, Kitcher points out that the sociobiology that has been loudly advertised in the popular and intellectual press is not it. Pop sociobiology has in fact been felled by its overambitious and overreaching creators.Philip Kitcher is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Minnesota, and Director of its Center for the Philosophy of Science. He brings a unique combination of training in philosophy, mathematics, and biology to this thorough treatment of sociobiology. Kitcher is the author of an equally searching book on "Scientific" Creationism, Abusing Science, published by The MIT Press in 1982 and available in paperback.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 12769
- 2011-06-11Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature
- 2021-09-16Thriving With Stone Age Minds Evolutionary Psychology, Christian Faith, And The Quest For Human F...
- 2021-09-09Thriving with Stone Age Minds Evolutionary Psychology, Christian Faith, and the Quest for Human Flourishing
- 2021-07-18Thriving with Stone-Age Minds Evolutionary Psychology, Christian Faith, and the Quest for Human Flou...
- 2011-10-08Living with the Genie: Essays On Technology And The Quest For Human Mastery
- 2011-09-19James Moore & Adrian Desmond - Darwin's Sacred Cause: Race, Slavery and the Quest for Human Origins
- 2011-09-15Living with the Genie: Essays On Technology And The Quest For Human Mastery
- 2011-09-07Puerto Rico Under Colonial Rule: Political Persecution And The Quest For Human Rights
- 2009-06-24Living with the Genie: Essays On Technology And The Quest For Human Mastery
- 2012-05-19Germany's Panther Tank: The Quest for Combat Supremacy
- 2011-07-10Adapting Minds: Evolutionary Psychology and the Persistent Quest for Human Nature (Bradford Books)
- 2023-03-07Reckonings Legacies of Nazi Persecution and the Quest for Justice [Audiobook]
- 2023-03-02Islamism and the Quest for Hegemony in Indonesia
- 2023-02-26Eldorado and the Quest for Fortune and Glory in South America
- 2023-02-19The Golden Cell gene therapy, stem cells and the quest for the next great medical breakthrough
- 2023-02-14Lunar and Planetary Rovers The Wheels of Apollo and the Quest for Mars - Removed
- 2023-02-13Made in China: Wuhan, Covid and the Quest for Biotech Supremacy
- 2023-01-27Globalisation and the Quest for Social and Environmental Justice The Relevance of International Law in an Evolving World Order
- 2023-01-26Age of Auto Electric Environment, Energy, and the Quest for the Sustainable Car
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.