There Must Be a Pony in Here Somewhere: The AOL Time Warner Debacle and the Quest for the Digital Future [Audiobook]
Posted on 2020-10-11, by nokia241186.
English | ASIN: B0000X8R6G | 2003 | 12 hours and 18 minutes | M4B 64 kbps | 336 MB
"AOL had found itself at the edge of disaster so frequently that one of its first executives, a brassy Vietnam veteran and restaurateur named Jim Kimsey, had taken the punch line of an old joke popularized by Ronald Reagan and made it into an unlikely mantra for the company. It concerned a very optimistic young boy who happened upon a huge pile of horse manure and began digging excitedly. When someone asked him what he was doing covered in muck, the foolish boy answered brightly, 'There must be a pony in here somewhere!'" (From the Prologue)
If you're wondering what happened after "a company without assets acquired a company without a clue," as Kara Swisher wryly writes, it's time to crack open this trenchant book about the doomed merger of America Online and Time Warner. On a quest to discover how the deal of the century became the messiest merger in history, Swisher delivers a rollicking narrative and a keen analysis of this debacle that is a must-listen for anyone who wants to understand what it all means for the digital future.
Packed with new revelations and on-the-record interviews with key players, it is the first detailed examination of the merger's aftermath and also looks forward to what is coming next.
It certainly has not been a pretty picture so far - with $100 billion in losses, a sinking stock price, employees in revolt, and lawsuits galore. As Swisher writes, "It is hard not to feel a bit queasy about the whole sorry mess...It felt a bit like I was watching someone fall down a flight of stairs in slow motion, and every bump and thump made me wince. It made me reassess old ideas and wonder what I had gotten wrong. And it left me deeply confused as to what had happened and, more important, what was coming next."
For Swisher, finding the answers to what went awry is important because she remains a staunch believer in the digital future - maybe not in the AOL Time Warner merger, but in the essential idea at the heart of it that someday the distinction of old and new media will no longer exist. Borrowing from Winston Churchill, Swisher calls it "the end of the beginning" of the digital revolution. "By that, I mean that it is from the ashes of this bust that the really important companies of the next era will emerge. And that evolution will, I believe, be shaped by what happened - and what is happening now - at AOL Time Warner. "
To figure it all out, Swisher takes her listener on a journey that begins with a portrait of two wildly different corporate cultures and businesses that somehow came to believe, in the crucible of the red-hot Internet era, that they could successfully join forces and achieve unprecedented growth and success. When the merger was announced in early 2000, the irresistible combination was hailed as the new paradigm and its executives - Steve Case, Jerry Levin, Bob Pittman - as popular icons of the future. But after the boom so spectacularly turned to bust and the visions of New Media Supremacy lay in ruins, Swisher searches for clues about where the merger went wrong and who is to blame.
More important, she looks to the future of both AOL Time Warner and the Internet as she seeks to answer the key question that the noise of the disaster has all but drowned out. Will the demise of the AOL Time Warner merger be the final and inevitable chapter of the dot-com debacle or will it herald a new paradigm altogether? This book, then, is a primer for the time to come, using the story of the AOL Time Warner merger as the vehicle to show the troubled journey into the future.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 44843
- 2014-02-26Psyco - There Must Be A Revolution Somew! (2010)
- 2011-05-27What's Out There: Images from Here to the Edge of Universe - Removed
- 2007-05-18Lyrics: there must be a way
- 2020-11-20There's No Such Thing as an IT Project: A Handbook for Intentional Business Change (Audiobook)
- 2020-11-10Evil Lives Here S08E05 The Prom Night Killer 1080p HEVC x265-MeGusta
- 2020-11-10Evil Lives Here S08E05 The Prom Night Killer 720p HEVC x265-MeGusta
- 2020-10-26Wow! 365 Steak and Chop Recipes: A Must have Steak and Chop Cookbook for Everyone
- 2020-10-21Mac Demarco Other Here Comes The Cowboy Demos (2020)
- 2020-10-11The Story of Seeds: From Mendel's Garden to Your Plate, and How There's More of Less to Eat Around the World
- 2020-09-13Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle[Audiobook]
- 2020-09-13Here Come the Waves 1944 DVDRip XViD
- 2020-07-27The Digital Marketer: Ten New Skills You Must Learn to Stay Relevant and Customer-Centric
- 2020-07-16Here's the Story Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice
- 2020-07-14Imagine There's No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World
- 2020-07-01Here Comes the Night: The Dark Soul of Bert Berns and the Dirty Business of Rhythm and Blues
- 2020-06-24Here Comes the Body - Removed
- 2020-04-14Dom's Guide To BDSM Vol. 1: 49 Must-Know Tips On How To Be The Perfect Dom/Master Your Submissive Will Truly Respect & Admire (Guide to Healthy BDSM)
- 2020-01-21Wedding March 3 Here Comes The Bride 2018 720p AMZN WEBRip DDP5 1 x264 DBS
- 2020-01-19Wedding March 3 Here Comes The Bride 2018 1080p WEBRip x264 RARBG
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.