Theory and Practice in the Music of the Islamic World Essays in Honour of Owen Wright (SOAS Musicology Series)
Posted on 2018-09-28, by nokia241186.
Rachel Harris, "Theory and Practice in the Music of the Islamic World: Essays in Honour of Owen Wright (SOAS Musicology Series)"
English | ISBN: 1138218316 | 2017 | EPUB | 360 pages | 4.2 MB
This volume of original essays is dedicated to Owen Wright in recognition of his formative contribution to the study of music in the Islamic Middle East. Wright's work, which comprises, at the time of writing, six field-defining volumes and countless articles, has reconfigured the relationship between historical musicology and ethnomusicology. No account of the transformation of these fields in recent years can afford to ignore his work. Ranging across the Middle East, Central Asia and North India, this volume brings together historical, philological and ethnographic approaches. The contributors focus on collections of musical notation and song texts, on commercial and ethnographic recordings, on travellers' reports and descriptions of instruments, on musical institutions and other spaces of musical performance. An introduction provides an overview and critical discussion of Wright's major publications. The central chapters cover the geographical regions and historical periods addressed in Wright's publications, with particular emphasis on Ottoman and Timurid legacies. Others discuss music in Greece, Iraq and Iran. Each explores historical continuities and discontinuities, and the constantly changing relationships between music theory and practice. An edited interview with Owen Wright concludes the book and provides a personal assessment of his scholarship and his approach to the history of the music of the Islamic Middle East. Extending the implications of Wright's own work, this volume argues for an ethnomusicology of the Islamic Middle East in which past and present, text and performance are systematically in dialogue.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37252
- 2009-10-26Understanding Development: Theory and Practice in the Third World - Removed
- 2009-10-23Understanding Development: Theory and Practice in the Third World
- 2009-09-26Understanding Development: Theory and Practice in the Third World
- 2021-03-01The Post marked World: Theory and Practice in the 21st Century
- 2020-08-05Values in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Design: Finding Center in Theory and Practice (Reading the American Landscape)
- 2020-05-30Concepts in Composition Theory and Practice in the Teaching of Writing
- 2020-02-28Art, Theory and Practice in the Anthropocene [Hardback, Premium Color] (Series in Art)
- 2019-12-27Ferenczi’s Influence on Contemporary Psychoanalytic Traditions (Lines of Development: Evolution of Theory and Practice over the Decades)
- 2019-03-01Systems Theory and Practice in the Knowledge Age
- 2019-01-30Theory and Practice in the Bioarchaeology of Care - Removed
- 2019-01-12Theory and Practice in the Bioarchaeology of Care
- 2018-12-29Hospital Life Theory and Practice from the Medieval to the Modern
- 2018-12-28Hospital Life Theory and Practice from the Medieval to the Modern
- 2018-12-15The Klein Tradition Lines of Development---Evolution of Theory and Practice Over the Decades
- 2018-09-22Making Religion Theory and Practice in the Discursive Study of Religion
- 2018-09-21Calling Cards Theory and Practice in the Study of Race, Gender, and Culture
- 2018-09-04Hospital Life Theory and Practice from the Medieval to the Modern
- 2018-08-06Making Religion Theory and Practice in the Discursive Study of Religion
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Social Justice and Deep Participation: Theory and Practice for the 21st Century - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.