Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2012-09-11. By anonymous.
Publisher: Penguin Press HC | ISBN: 1594201005 | edition 2006 | PDF | 880 pages | 17,2 mb
Niall Fergusson's most important book to date-a revolutionary reinterpretation of the modern era that resolves its central paradox: why unprecedented progress coincided with unprecedented violence and why the seeming triumph of the West bore the seeds of its undoing.
From the conflicts that presaged the First World War to the aftershocks of the cold war, the twentieth century was by far the bloodiest in all of human history. How can we explain the astonishing scale and intensity of its violence when, thanks to the advances of science and economics, most people were better off than ever before-eating better, growing taller, and living longer? Wherever one looked, the world in 1900 offered the happy prospect of ever-greater interconnection. Why, then, did global progress descend into internecine war and genocide? Drawing on a pioneering combination of history, economics, and evolutionary theory, Niall Ferguson-one of Time magazine's "100 Most Influential People"-masterfully examines what he calls the age of hatred and sets out to explain what went wrong with modernity.
On a quest that takes him from the Siberian steppe to the plains of Poland, from the streets of Sarajevo to the beaches of Okinawa, Ferguson reveals an age turned upside down by economic volatility, multicultural communities torn apart by the irregularities of boom and bust, an era poisoned by the idea of irreconcilable racial differences, and a struggle between decaying old empires and predatory new states. Who won the war of the world? We tend to assume it was the West. Some even talk of the American century. But for Ferguson, the biggest upshot of twentieth-century upheaval was the decline of Western dominance over Asia.
- Ebooks list page : 19880
- 2017-12-11[PDF] The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West
- 2008-12-12The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West - Removed
- 2010-09-14Materiel Culture: The Archaeology of Twentieth-Century Conflict (repost)
- 2009-08-15A Voice from the Holocaust (Voices of Twentieth-Century Conflict)
- 2020-07-27Of Limits and Growth: The Rise of Global Sustainable Development in the Twentieth Century (Global and International History)
- 2020-07-18War! What Is It Good For?: Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots - Removed
- 2020-03-15Automobility and the City in Twentieth-Century Britain and Japan (SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan)
- 2019-12-12Notorious Murders of the Twentieth Century Famous and Forgotten British Cases (True Crime)
- 2019-12-10Healthy Minds in the Twentieth Century: In and Beyond the Asylum (Mental Health in Historical Perspective)
- 2019-07-05 @(Precious) - Why You Should Read My Twentieth Century Evening and Other Small Breakthroughs: The Nobel Lecture by Kazuo Ishiguro Online or Download [~MOBI ~EPUB ~PDF]
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Perceptions of Pregnancy from the Seventeenth to the Twentieth Century (Genders and Sexualities in History) - Removed
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Political Philosophy in the Twentieth Century: Authors and Arguments
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Spirals: The Whirled Image in Twentieth-Century Literature and Art (Modernist Latitudes)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Witchcraft and Magic in Europe, Vol. 6: The Twentieth Century (Witchcraft and Magic in Europe)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Twentieth Century Music and the Question of Modernity
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Age of the Poets - And Other Writings on Twentieth-Century Poetry and Prose
- 2017-11-10[PDF] The Culture of Critique - An Evolutionary Analysis of Jewish Involvement in Twentieth-Century Intellectual and Political Movements
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Book of Art for Young People (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press): Early Twentieth Century Husband And Wife Collaboration Concerning Fine Art, Aimed At Children. Full Of Famous Paintings.
- 2017-10-17[PDF] The Noether Theorems: Invariance and Conservation Laws in the Twentieth Century (Sources and Studies in the History of Mathematics and Physical Sciences) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.