The Speculum Astronomiae and its Enigma: Astrology, Theology and Science in Albertus Magnus and his Contemporaries
Posted on 2012-10-28. By anonymous.
1992 | ISBN-10: 0792313801 | PDF | 384 pages | 10 MB
The attribution of the Speculum Astronomiae to Albertus Magnus became a controversial issue only recently, when the great neo-Thomist historian Pierre Mandonnet suggested -- without any antecedents -- that the author was Roger Bacon rather than Albert. Mandonnet's theses were refuted by Lynn Thorndike and have since then been the subject of widespread discussion. The present historiographical case-study considers this debate in the light of an analysis of texts by Albert himself, as well as other important authors, such as Bacon, Bonaventura, Thomas Aquinas, Witelo, Campanus of Novara, and others, which shows how widespread the general concept of the influence of the stars and other astrological ideas to be found in the Speculum were. Most of the scientific ideas of the Middle Ages were based on principles derived from the notion of celestial influence and its consequences. The Speculum drew the fundamental outlines of this discipline into a theoretical and bibliographical introduction -- no small achievement -- and was consequently greeted with great interest and used as a standard reference book for many centuries. Set against the background of discussions taking place in the 1260s, within the Dominican Order as well as in the Faculties of Arts, Zambelli removes all doubt that the Speculum was written by Albert, possibly with some collaboration.
- Ebooks list page : 20386
- 2021-09-10The Escape of Jack the Ripper The Truth About the Cover-Up and His Flight from Justice [Audiobook]
- 2021-08-20Cromwell at War The Lord General and his Military Revolution
- 2021-07-27Prester John The History of the Legendary Patriarch and His Fabled Christian Kingdom in Africa
- 2020-11-25How They Won the War in the Pacific: Nimitz and His Admirals
- 2020-11-23The British Soldier and his Libraries, c. 1822 1901
- 2020-06-18Kierkegaard and his Contemporaries. The Culture of Golden Age Denmark (Kierkegaard Studies Monograph Series 10) (Kierkegaard Studies. Monograph Series)
- 2020-03-20Perspectives on Early Islamic Mysticism: The World of al-Ḥakīm al-Tirmidhī and his Contemporaries (Routledge Sufi Series) - Removed
- 2020-03-09Perspectives on Early Islamic Mysticism: The World of al Ḥakīm al Tirmidhī and his Contemporaries - Removed
- 2019-07-02The Lone Ranger and His Horse Silver
- 2019-01-03The Improbable Wendell Willkie The Businessman Who Saved the Republican Party and His Country, and Conceived a New World Order
- 2018-12-09The Welsh King and His Court
- 2018-12-07The Welsh King and His Court
- 2018-11-23The Epic Adventure of Nhamo the Manyika Warrior and his Sexy Wife Chipo
- 2018-11-21The Welsh King and His Court
- 2018-09-26Napoleon Bonaparte Master of War The Great Man and his Great Battles
- 2018-07-25Napoleon Bonaparte Master of War: The Great Man and his Great Battles
- 2018-07-21Napoleon Bonaparte Master of War The Great Man and his Great Battles
- 2018-05-28Napoleon Bonaparte Master of War: The Great Man and his Great Battles
- 2018-05-23Napoleon Bonaparte Master of War: The Great Man and his Great Battles
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.