The Return of the Moguls How Jeff Bezos and John Henry Are Remaking Newspapers for the Twenty-First Century
Posted on 2018-04-10, by nokia241186.
Dan Kennedy, "The Return of the Moguls: How Jeff Bezos and John Henry Are Remaking Newspapers for the Twenty-First Century"
ISBN: 161168594X | 2018 | EPUB | 296 pages | 614 KB
The Return of the Moguls chronicles an important story in the making, one that will affect more than just the newspaper business-it has the power to change democracy as we know it.
Over the course of a generation, the story of the daily newspaper has been an unchecked slide from record profitability and readership to plummeting profits, increasing irrelevance, and inevitable obsolescence. The forces killing major dailies, alternative weeklies, and small-town shoppers are well understood-or seem obvious in hindsight, at least-and the catalog of publications that have gone under reads like a who's who of American journalism. During the past half-century, old-style press barons gave way to a cabal of corporate interests unable or unwilling to invest in the future even as technological change was destroying their core business. The Taylor family sold the Boston Globe to the New York Times Company in 1993 for a cool $1.1 billion. Twenty years later, the Times Company resold it for just $70 million. The unexpected twist to the story, however, is not what they sold it for but who they sold it to: John Henry, the principal owner of the Boston Red Sox.
A billionaire who made his money in the world of high finance, Henry inspired optimism in Boston because of his track record as a public-spirited business executive-and because his deep pockets seemed to ensure that the shrunken newspaper would not be subjected to further downsizing. In just a few days, the sale of the Globe was overtaken by much bigger news: Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon and one of the world's richest people, had reached a deal to buy the Washington Post for $250 million.
Henry's ascension at the Globe sparked hope. Bezos's purchase seemed to inspire nothing short of ecstasy, as numerous observers expressed the belief that his lofty status as one of our leading digital visionaries could help him solve the daunting financial problems facing the newspaper business.
Though Bezos and Henry are the two most prominent individuals to enter the newspaper business, a third preceded them. Aaron Kushner, a greeting-card executive, acquired California's Orange County Register in July 2012 and then pursued an audacious agenda, expanding coverage and hiring journalists in an era when nearly all other newspaper owners were trying to avoid cutting both.
The newspaper business is at a perilous crossroads. This essential book explains why, and how today's new crop of media moguls might help it to survive.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36018
- 2020-12-19Case for Interferon How a 1980s Cancer Drug Might Be the Wonder Therapy for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-10-22Flop Musicals of the Twenty First Century: How They Happened, When They Happened (and What We've Learned)
- 2020-05-11The Return of History: Conflict, Migration, and Geopolitics in the Twenty-First Century (CBC Massey Lectures)
- 2020-04-17Deeper Learning: How Eight Innovative Public Schools Are Transforming Education in the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-04-11How to Make Love to a Despot: An Alternative Foreign Policy for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-04-08How to Make Love to a Despot An Alternative Foreign Policy for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-02-08Order Wars and Floating Balance: How the Rising Powers Are Reshaping Our Worldview in the Twenty-First Century (Routledge Advances in International Relations and Global Politics)
- 2019-08-23French Fiction into the Twenty-First Century The Return to the Story (French and Francophone Stud...
- 2019-07-25* (Admirable) - Why You Should Read This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century by Mark Engler Online or Download [*MOBI *PDF *EPUB]
- 2019-03-27Crossing the Aisle How Bipartisanship Brought Tennessee to the Twenty-First Century and Could Sav...
- 2018-09-22How Fear Works Culture of Fear in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-06-03Masters of Modern Soccer How the World's Best Play the Twenty-First-Century Game
- 2018-05-13Masters of Modern Soccer How the World's Best Play the Twenty-First-Century Game
- 2018-05-09Masters of Modern Soccer: How the World's Best Play the Twenty-First-Century Game
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Great Survivors: How Monarchy Made It Into the Twenty-First Century. Peter Conradi
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Deeper Learning: How Eight Innovative Public Schools Are Transforming Education in the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The Return of History: Conflict, Migration, and Geopolitics in the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-10-06[PDF] This Is an Uprising: How Nonviolent Revolt Is Shaping the Twenty-First Century
- 2014-04-19The Great Survivors: How Monarchy Made It Into the Twenty-First Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.