Posted on 2018-05-02, by perica123.
The Pope Who Would Be King: The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe by David I. Kertzer
English | April 24th, 2018 | ASIN: B074DHBC1K, ISBN: 0812989910 | 512 Pages | EPUB | 47.24 MB
The Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Pope and Mussolini takes on a pivotal, untold story: the bloody revolution that stripped the pope of political power and signaled the birth of modern Europe.
Days after his prime minister was assassinated in the middle of Rome in November 1848, Pope Pius IX found himself a virtual prisoner in his own palace. The wave of revolution that had swept through Europe now seemed poised to end the popes' thousand-year reign over the Papal States, if not to the papacy itself. Disguising himself as a simple parish priest, Pius escaped through a back door. Climbing inside the Bavarian ambassador's carriage, he embarked on a journey into a fateful exile.
Only two years earlier Pius's election had triggered a wave of optimism across Italy. After the repressive reign of the dour Pope Gregory XVI, Italians saw the youthful, benevolent new pope as the man who would at last bring the Papal States into modern times and help create a new, unified Italian nation. But Pius was caught between a desire to please his subjects and a fear-stoked by the conservative cardinals-that heeding the people's pleas would destroy the church. The resulting drama-with a colorful cast of characters, from Louis Napoleon and his rabble-rousing cousin Charles Bonaparte to Garibaldi, Tocqueville, and Metternich-was rife with treachery, tragedy, and international power politics.
David Kertzer is one of the world's foremost experts on the history of Italy and the Vatican and has a rare ability to bring that history vividly to life. With a combination of gripping, cinematic storytelling and keen historical analysis, rooted in an unprecedented richness of archival sources, The Pope Who Would Be King sheds fascinating new light on the end of rule by divine right in the West and the emergence of modern Europe.
- Ebooks list page : 36122
- 2018-06-27The Pope Who Would Be King The Exile of Pius IX and the Emergence of Modern Europe
- 2018-06-15The Pope Who Would Be King [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-07The Pope Who Would Be King [Audiobook]
- 2018-04-29The Pope Who Would Be King [Audiobook]
- 2013-05-02The Emergence of Modern Europe: C. 1500 to 1788 (A History of Western Civilization)
- 2011-11-28The Emergence of Modern Europe: c. 1500 to 1788 (History of Western Civilization)
- 2011-08-22The Emergence of Modern Europe: C. 1500 to 1788
- 2020-05-28Kings and Usurpers in the Seleukid Empire The Men who would be King
- 2020-05-13Kings and Usurpers in the Seleukid Empire - The Men who would be King
- 2019-06-23The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 720p BluRay x264 Dual Audio ESub [MW]
- 2019-06-20The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 720p BluRay x264 DTS-HDChina
- 2019-06-09The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 BDRip DD5.1 x264-uTs
- 2019-06-01The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 720p BluRay DTS x264-FuzerHD
- 2019-06-01The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 720p BluRay DD5 1 x264-DON
- 2019-05-31The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 BluRay 1080p DTS-HD MA 7 1 x264-MTeam
- 2019-05-24The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 1080p BluRay DTS-ES x264-GALVANiZE
- 2019-05-19The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 1080p BluRay DD7 1 x264-DON
- 2019-05-15The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 1080p BluRay x264 DTS-CMRG
- 2019-05-12The Kid Who Would Be King 2019 720p BluRay DTS x264-DRONES
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.