Posted on 2021-04-15, by nokia241186.
English | ISBN: 1138022071 | 2015 | 208 pages | PDF | 1523 KB
This book offers a detailed exploration of three examples of humanitarian uses of new technology, employing key theoretical insights from Foucault.
We are currently seeing a humanitarian turn to new digital technologies, such as biometrics, remote sensing, and surveillance drones. However, such humanitarian uses of new technology have not always produced beneficial results for those at the receiving end and have sometimes exposed the subjects of assistance to additional risks and insecurities.
Engaging with key insights from the work of Foucault combined with selected concepts from the Science and Technology Studies literature, this book produces an analytical framework that opens up the analysis to details of power and control at the level of materiality that are often ignored in liberal histories of war and modernity. Whereas Foucault details the design of prisons, factories, schools, etc., this book is original in its use of his work, in that it uses these key insights about the details of power embedded in material design, but shifts the attention to the technologies and attending forms of power that have been experimented with in the three humanitarian endeavours presented in the book. In doing so, the book provides new information about aspects of liberal humanitarianism that contemporary critical analyses have largely neglected.
This book will be of interest to students of humanitarian studies, peace and conflict studies, critical security studies, and IR in general.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 47254
- 2011-11-21The Politics of Child Sexual Abuse: Emotion, Social Movements, and the State
- 2011-11-25Information Technology for Counterterrorism: Immediate Actions and Future Possibilities - Committee On The Role Of Information Technology In Responding To Terrorism, National Research Counci
- 2010-01-01The Politics of Good Intentions: History, Fear and Hypocrisy in the New World Order
- 2020-12-25The Price of Nice How Good Intentions Maintain Educational Inequity
- 2020-04-21The Power of Fifty Bits: The New Science of Turning Good Intentions into Positive Results
- 2019-12-19Paved with Good Intentions?: Human Trafficking and the Anti-trafficking Movement in Singapore
- 2019-11-06Paved with Good Intentions Human Trafficking and the Anti-trafficking Movement in Singapore
- 2018-07-14The Power of Fifty Bits: The New Science of Turning Good Intentions into Positive Results
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Tyranny of Good Intentions: How Prosecutors and Law Enforcement Are Trampling the Constitution in the Name of Justice - Removed
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Upside of Inequality: How Good Intentions Undermine the Middle Class
- 2017-10-26[PDF] The Student Loan Mess: How Good Intentions Created a Trillion-Dollar Problem
- 2017-10-22[PDF] The Power of Fifty Bits: The New Science of Turning Good Intentions into Positive Results
- 2014-05-20The Kaiser's Army: The Politics of Military Technology in Germany during the Machine Age, 1870-1918 [Repost]
- 2012-05-09The Politics of Aid Selectivity: Good Governance Criteria in World Bank, U.S. and Dutch Development Assistance
- 2011-11-17Information Technology for Counterterrorism: Immediate Actions and Future Possibilities
- 2009-09-19The Kaiser's Army: The Politics of Military Technology in Germany during the Machine Age, 1870-1918
- 2009-08-09The Kaiser's Army: The Politics of Military Technology in Germany during the Machine Age, 1870-1918(repost)
- 2007-11-07The Kaiser's Army: The Politics of Military Technology in Germany during the Machine Age, 1870-1918
- 2021-07-23The Hybrid Teacher Using Technology to Teach In Person and Online
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.