Author: Eric R. Scerri
Posted on 2007-06-24. By anonymous.
- Author: Eric R. Scerri
The periodic table is one of the most potent icons in science. It lies at the core of chemistry and embodies the most fundamental principles of the field. The one definitive text on the development of the periodic table by van Spronsen (1969), has been out of print for a considerable time. The present book provides a successor to van Spronsen, but goes further in giving an evaluation of the extent to which modern physics has, or has not, explained the periodic system. The book is written in a lively style to appeal to experts and interested lay-persons alike. The Periodic Table begins with an overview of the importance of the periodic table and of the elements and it examines the manner in which the term 'element' has been interpreted by chemists and philosophers. The book then turns to a systematic account of the early developments that led to the classification of the elements including the work of Lavoisier, Boyle and Dalton and Cannizzaro. The precursors to the periodic system, like Dobereiner and Gmelin, are discussed. In chapter 3 the discovery of the periodic system by six independent scientists is examined in detail. Two chapters are devoted to the discoveries of Mendeleev, the leading discoverer, including his predictions of new elements and his accommodation of already existing elements. Chapters 6 and 7 consider the impact of physics including the discoveries of radioactivity and isotopy and successive theories of the electron including Bohr's quantum theoretical approach. Chapter 8 discusses the response to the new physical theories by chemists such as Lewis and Bury who were able to draw on detailed chemical knowledge to correct some of the early electronic configurations published by Bohr and others. Chapter 9 provides a critical analysis of the extent to which modern quantum mechanics is, or is not, able to explain the periodic system from first principles. Finally, chapter 10 considers the way that the elements evolved following the Big Bang and in the interior of stars. The book closes with an examination of further chemical aspects including lesser known trends within the periodic system such as the knight's move relationship and secondary periodicity, as well at attempts to explain such trends.
"The Perodic Table:Its Story and its Significance should be of great interest and value to chemists and particularly to those chemists who teach about what makes up us, our world, and our science."-- Journal of Chemical Education
"Scerri tries to understand the construction of the periodic table within the context of the history of matter theories. ... He insists that it results form the collective work of many chemists."--Nature
"Scerri reviews the discoveries of electrons, radioactivity and the connection between quantum mechanitcs and the periodic table."-- Science News
- Ebooks list page : 818
- 2020-01-03The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance Ed 2
- 2017-11-14[PDF] The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
- 2013-12-30The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance (repost)
- 2013-09-19The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
- 2013-09-15The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance (Audiobook)
- 2010-11-18The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance by Eric R. Scerri (Repost) - Removed
- 2010-11-17The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance by Eric R. Scerri (Repost) - Removed
- 2007-07-06The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
- 2007-06-30The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
- 2007-06-30The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its
- 2020-02-28The Periodic Table I: Historical Development and Essential Features (Structure and Bonding)
- 2020-02-28The Periodic Table II: Catalytic, Materials, Biological and Medical Applications (Structure and Bonding)
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Memorize the Periodic Table: The Fast and Easy Way to Memorize Chemical Elements
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Who Invented the Periodic Table? (Breakthroughs in Science and Technology)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Relationships and Mechanisms in the Periodic Table - Removed
- 2017-10-13[PDF] Occult Chemistry: Investigations by Clairvoyant Magnification Into the Structure of the Atoms of the Periodic Table and Some Compounds
- 2017-02-06[PDF] The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.