Posted on 2020-10-11, by nokia241186.
English | July 10, 2018 | ASIN: B07DK2YPBY |
By the best-selling author of Four Fish and American Catch, an eye-opening investigation of the history, science, and business behind omega-3 fatty acids, the "miracle compound" whose story is intertwined with human health and the future of our planet
Omega-3 fatty acids have long been celebrated by doctors and dieticians as key to a healthy heart and a sharper brain. In the last few decades, that promise has been encapsulated in one of America's most popular dietary supplements. Omega-3s are today a multi-billion dollar business, and sales are still growing apace - even as recent medical studies caution that the promise of omega-3s may not be what it first appeared.
But a closer look at the omega-3 sensation reveals something much deeper and more troubling. The miracle pill is only the latest product of the reduction industry, a vast, global endeavor that over the last century has boiled down trillions of pounds of marine life into animal feed, fertilizer, margarine, and dietary supplements. The creatures that are the victims of that industry seem insignificant to the untrained eye but turn out to be essential to the survival of whales, penguins, and fish of all kinds, including many that we love to eat.
Behind these tiny molecules is a big story: of the push-and-pull of science and business; of the fate of our oceans in a human-dominated age; of the explosion of land food at the expense of healthier and more sustainable seafood; of the human quest for health and long life at all costs. James Beard Award-winning author Paul Greenberg probes the rich and surprising history of omega-3s - from the dawn of complex life, when these compounds were first formed to human prehistory, when the discovery of seafood may have produced major cognitive leaps for our species; and on to the modern era, when omega-3s may point the way to a bold new direction for our food system. With wit and boundless curiosity, Greenberg brings us along on his travels - from Peru to Antarctica, from the Canary Islands to the Amalfi Coast - to reveal firsthand the practice and repercussions of our unbalanced way of eating.
Rigorously reported and winningly told, The Omega Principle is a powerful argument for a more deliberate and forward-thinking relationship to the food we eat and the oceans that sustain us.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 44838
- 2018-10-16The Omega Principle Seafood and the Quest for a Long Life and a Healthier Planet
- 2018-08-22The Omega Principle Seafood and the Quest for a Long Life and a Healthier Planet
- 2012-05-19Germany's Panther Tank: The Quest for Combat Supremacy
- 2011-09-05Brain Facts: A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System free ebook download
- 2011-08-06Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human Nature
- 2012-05-25CHEMICAL PRINCIPLES The Quest for Insight - Atkins Solutions - Removed
- 2012-01-12video2brain - Uwe Braunschweig The Quest. Fantasy-Composings mit dem gewissen Etwas
- 2011-09-16Scars of Mirrodin: The Quest for Karn: Scars of Mirrodin Block (Magic: the Gathering)
- 2020-11-29Fossil Men The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind [Audiobook]
- 2020-11-23Newton the Alchemist: Science, Enigma, and the Quest for Nature's "Secret Fire" (EPUB)
- 2020-11-22Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind
- 2020-11-20Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind [Audiobook]
- 2020-11-15Fossil Men The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind by Kerm...
- 2020-11-05Economics of Good and Evil: The Quest for Economic Meaning from Gilgamesh to Wall Street
- 2020-11-05The Everything UFO Book: An investigation of sightings, cover ups, and the quest for extraterrestial life
- 2020-11-03Economics of Good and Evil The Quest for Economic Meaning from Gilgamesh to Wall Street
- 2020-10-11There Must Be a Pony in Here Somewhere: The AOL Time Warner Debacle and the Quest for the Digital Future [Audiobook]
- 2020-09-21South with the Sun: Roald Amundsen, His Polar Explorations, and the Quest for Discovery
- 2020-07-18A Public Empire: Property and the Quest for the Common Good in Imperial Russia
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.