Posted on 2021-04-07, by nokia241186.
English | January 5th, 2021 | ISBN: 1472957342, 1472957350 | 352 pages | True EPUB | 5.62 MB
Britain's lynx are missing, and they have been for more than a thousand years. Why have they gone? And might they come back?
A mere 15,000 years ago, Britain was a very different place - home to lions, lynx, bears, wolves, bison and many more megafauna. But as the climate changed and human populations expanded, changing habitats and wiping out wildlife, most of the British megafauna disappeared. Will we ever be able to bring these mammals back? And if it's possible, should we?
In The Missing Lynx, palaeontologist Ross Barnett uses case studies, new fossil discoveries, biomolecular evidence and more to paint a picture of these lost species, and to explore the significance of their disappearance in ecological terms. He also discusses how the Britons these animals shared their lives with might have viewed them, and questions why some survived while others vanished.
Barnett also looks in detail at the realistic potential of reintroductions, rewilding and even of resurrection, both in Britain and overseas, from the innovative Oostvaardersplassen nature reserve to the revolutionary Pleistocene Park in Siberia, which has already seen progress in the revival of 'mammoth steppe'.
With the world going through a 'sixth extinction' caused by widespread habitat destruction, climate change and an ever-growing human population, this timely book explores the spaces that extinction has left unfilled, in Britain and elsewhere. By understanding why some of our most charismatic animals are gone, we can look to a brighter future, perhaps with some of these missing beasts returned to the land on which they once lived and died.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 47125
- 2021-04-23Time Shifts: Experiences of Slipping into the Past and Future
- 2021-03-25Tasting Qualities: The Past and Future of Tea
- 2021-02-26Tasting Qualities: The Past and Future of Tea
- 2021-02-09Tasting Qualities: The Past and Future of Tea
- 2020-11-29Bourbon Empire The Past and Future of America's Whiskey [Audiobook]
- 2020-07-11The Idea of the Brain: The Past and Future of Neuroscience
- 2020-05-11The Past and Future of International Monetary System: With the Performances of the US Dollar, the Euro and the CNY (SpringerBriefs in Economics)
- 2020-01-21Money and Government: The Past and Future of Economics (EPUB) - Removed
- 2019-12-12Safety I and Safety II The Past and Future of Safety Management
- 2019-01-31The Forgotten Cure The Past and Future of Phage Therapy - Removed
- 2019-01-12The Forgotten Cure The Past and Future of Phage Therapy
- 2018-12-04Issues and Concepts in Historical Ecology The Past and Future of Landscapes and Regions
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Forgotten Cure: The Past and Future of Phage Therapy - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] At Home in Two Countries: The Past and Future of Dual Citizenship (Citizenship and Migration in the Americas) - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Past and Future City: How Historic Preservation is Reviving America's Communities
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Past and Future of Information Systems: 1976 -2006 and Beyond: IFIP 19th World Computer Congress, TC-8, Information System Stream, August 21-23, ... in Information and Communication Technology) - Removed
- 2017-12-30[PDF] Blazing a Ghostly Trail: ISON and Great Comets of the Past and Future (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series) - Removed
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Storm Surge: Hurricane Sandy, Our Changing Climate, and Extreme Weather of the Past and Future - Removed
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Bourbon Empire: The Past and Future of America s Whiskey
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.