Posted on 2018-06-01, by nokia241186.
The Mirror of Herodotus: The Representation of the Other in the Writing of History by Francois Hartog, Janet Lloyd
English | 1988 | ISBN: 0520054873 | 411 Pages | PDF | 100.1 MB
Herodotus's great work is not only an account of the momentous historical conflict between the Greeks and the Persians but also the earliest sustained exploration in the West of the problem of cultural difference.
Herodotus's great work is not only an account of the momentous historical conflict between the Greeks and the Persians but also the earliest sustained exploration in the West of the problem of cultural difference. Francois Hartog asks fundamental questions about how Herodotus represented this difference. How did he and his readers understand the customs and beliefs of those who were not Greek? How did the historian convince his readers that his account of other peoples was reliable? How is it possible to comprehend a way of life radically different from one's own? What are the linguistic, rhetorical, and philosophical means by which Herodotus fashions his text into a mirror of the marginal and unknown? In answering these questions, Hartog transforms our understanding of the "father of history." His Herodotus is less the chronicler of a victorious Greece than a brilliant writer in pursuit of otherness.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36276
- 2018-06-06Histories and Fallacies Problems Faced in the Writing of History
- 2018-06-04Rhetoric and the Writing of History, 400-1500
- 2016-09-06Rhetoric and the Writing of History, 400-1500
- 2010-08-28Reading Borges After Benjamin: Allegory, Afterlife, and the Writing of History
- 2010-07-18British Women Writers and the Writing of History, 1670-1820
- 2011-11-17Herodotus: The Father of History (The Great Courses) - Removed
- 2012-05-19The Zeppelin in Combat: A History of the German Naval Airship Division 1912-1918
- 2011-11-25The Cambridge Urban History of Britain, Volume 3
- 2011-09-17Inventing the Criminal: A History of German Criminology, 1880-1945 - Removed
- 2011-07-15Inventing the Criminal: A History of German Criminology, 1880-1945 (Studies in Legal History) - Removed
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Human and the Divine in History: Herodotus and the Book of Daniel (The Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies)
- 2017-05-27TTC Video - Herodotus The Father of History (2017)
- 2014-01-15R. Nieuwenhuys, E.M. Beekman, "Mirror of the Indies: A History of Dutch Colonial Literature"
- 2013-10-02The Human and the Divine in History: Herodotus and the Book of Daniel (Repost)
- 2013-05-06Herodotus: The Father of History (Audiobook - TTC) (Repost)
- 2013-04-15English Church Monuments in the Middle Ages: History and Representation
- 2011-12-29Herodotus - The Father Of History (2002)
- 2011-12-27TTC VIDEO - Herodotus - The Father Of History (2002)
- 2011-05-04Herodotus - The Father of History (Audiobook)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.