Posted on 2020-10-22, by nokia241186.
Martin Sicker | 2000 | ISBN: 0275968928 | English | 240 pages | PDF | 6 MB
In the view of Dr. Martin Sicker, it was with the emergence of Islam that the combination of geopolitics and religion reached its most volatile form and provided the ideological context for war and peace in the Middle East for more than a millennium. The conflation of geopolitics and religion in Islam is predicated on the concept of jihad (struggle), which may be understood as a crescentade, in the same sense as the later Christian crusade, which seeks to achieve a religious goal, the conversion of the world to Islam, by militant means. This equates to a concept of perpetual war with the non-Muslim world, a concept that underlays Muslim geopolitical thinking throughout the thousand-year period covered in this book. However, as Sicker amply demonstrates, the concept often bore little relation to the political realities of the region that as often as not saw Muslims and non-Muslims aligned against and at war with other Muslims. The story of the emergence and phenomenal ascendancy of the Islamic world from a relatively small tribe in sparsely populated Arabia is one that taxes the imagination, but it becomes more comprehensible when viewed through a geopolitical prism. Religion was repeatedly and often shamelessly harnessed to geopolitical purpose by both Muslims and Christians, albeit with arguably greater Muslim success. Islamic ascendancy began as an Arab project, initially focused on the Arabian peninsula, but was soon transformed into an imperialist movement with expansive ambitions. As it grew, it quickly registered highly impressive gains, but soon lost much of its Arab content. It ended a millennium later as a Turkish-more specifically, an Ottoman-project with many intermediate transformations. The reverberations of the thousand-year history of that ascendancy are still felt today in many parts of the greater Middle East. A comprehensive geopolitical survey for scholars, students, researchers, and all others interested in the history of the Middle East and Islam.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 44995
- 2011-11-29Architecture Education in the Islamic World
- 2011-08-24Architecture Education in the Islamic World
- 2018-07-15The Singing Turk Ottoman Power and Operatic Emotions on the European Stage From the Siege of Vienna to the Age of Napoleon
- 2018-06-01The Singing Turk Ottoman Power and Operatic Emotions on the European Stage From the Siege of Vienna to the Age of Napoleon
- 2019-03-25The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross & Crescent
- 2017-12-02[PDF] The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross & Crescent
- 2020-05-18Printing Arab Modernity: Book Culture and the American Press in Nineteenth-Century Beirut (Arts and Archaeology of the Islamic World)
- 2020-03-28United Arab Emirates 1975/76-2018 (Contemporary Archive of the Islamic World)
- 2020-01-10The Mongols and the Islamic World: From Conquest to Conversion
- 2018-06-26The Armenians in the Medieval Islamic World The Arab Period in Armnyahseventh to Eleventh Centuries
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 - Removed
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Ultimate Ambition in the Arts of Erudition: A Compendium of Knowledge from the Classical Islamic World
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Lebanon and the Arab Uprisings: In the Eye of the Hurricane (Durham Modern Middle East and Islamic World Series)
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World: From the Archaic Age to the Arab Conquests
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Mothers and Daughters in Arab Women's Literature (Women and Gender: the Middle East and the Islamic World) - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 - Removed
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Ultimate Ambition in the Arts of Erudition: A Compendium of Knowledge from the Classical Islamic World
- 2012-12-18The Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World: From the Archaic Age to the Arab Conquests by G. E. de St. Croix
- 2012-01-08Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.