The Holy Land Reborn: Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India (Buddhism and Moderni...
Posted on 2013-07-17, by way_vs.
The Holy Land Reborn: Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India (Buddhism and Modernity series) by Toni Huber
English | 2008 | ISBN: 0226356488, 0226356485 | 519 pages | PDF | 5,5 MB
A major contribution to the study of Buddhism, this book describes changes in Tibetan constructs of India over the centuries, ultimately challenging largely static views of the sacred geography of Buddhism in India. Author investigates how Tibetans have maintained a ritual relationship to India, particularly by way of pilgrimage, and what it means for them to consider India as their holy land.
Focusing on the Tibetan creation and recreation of India as a destination, a landscape, and a kind of other, in both real and idealized terms, Huber explores how Tibetans have used the idea of India as a religious territory and a sacred geography in the development of their own religion and society. In a timely closing chapter, Huber also takes up the meaning of India for the Tibetans who live in exile in their Buddhist holy land.
The Dalai Lama has said that Tibetans consider themselves â€œthe child of Indian civilizationâ€ and that India is the â€œholy landâ€ from whose sources the Tibetans have built their own civilization. What explains this powerful allegiance to India?
This book had a long, slow gestation, and its birth owes a lot to many different people.
List of Figures
Note on Transliteration
Part One: Locating and Dislocating the Land of the Buddha
â€¢ 1 The Shifting Terrain of the Buddha
â€¢ 2 Buddhist Knowledge and Anachronism in Tibet
â€¢ 3 Journeying to the Centre of the World
â€¢ 4 Tantric Buddhist India and Its Tibetan Appropriation
Part Two: Reinventing the Holy Land in India
â€¢ 5 Nirvana in Assam
â€¢ 6 Return to the Centre of the World
â€¢ 7 The Allure of the Atsaras
â€¢ 8 The Precious Guru in the Punjab
Part Three: Modern Rebirths of the Holy Land
â€¢ 9 Archaeological and Discursive Rebirths of Buddhist India
â€¢ 10 Encountering the Modern Holy Land
â€¢ 11 Exile in the Land of the Buddha
-Sources in Other Languages
- Ebooks list page : 22741
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Holy Land Reborn: Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India (Buddhism and Modernity series) - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Holy Land Reborn: Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India (Buddhism and Modernity series) - Removed
- 2013-07-08The Holy Land Reborn: Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India (Buddhism and Moderni...
- 2009-08-27"The Holy Land Reborn. Pilgrimage and the Tibetan Reinvention of Buddhist India" by Toni Huber
- 2012-02-17[request]The Pursuit of Italy: A History of a Land, its Regions and their Peoples
- 2010-11-22Crusader Castles in the Holy Land 1097-1192
- 2021-04-16Political Theologies in the Holy Land: Israeli Messianism and its Critics
- 2020-11-28Women, Crusading and the Holy Land in Historical Narrative
- 2020-08-16Jerusalem and the Holy Land
- 2020-02-22Natural Materials of the Holy Land and the Visual Translation of Place, 500-1500
- 2018-10-31Defending the Holy Land A Critical Analysis of Israel's Security and Foreign Policy
- 2018-10-07Defending the Holy Land A Critical Analysis of Israel's Security and Foreign Policy
- 2018-09-26Defending the Holy Land A Critical Analysis of Israel's Security and Foreign Policy
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Emissaries from the Holy Land: The Sephardic Diaspora and the Practice of Pan-Judaism in the Eighteenth Century (Stanford Studies in Jewish History and C)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Jerusalem and the Holy Land (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Templars and Hospitallers as Professed Religious in the Holy Land (ND Conway Lectures in Medieval Studies)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Unholy Business: A True Tale of Faith, Greed and Forgery in the Holy Land
- 2017-04-09[PDF] Inventing the Holy Land: American Protestant Pilgrimage to Palestine, 1865-1941
- 2017-04-03Emissaries from the Holy Land The Sephardic Diaspora and the Practice of Pan-Judaism in the Eigh...
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.