Posted on 2014-06-06, by supnatural.
The Heathen School: A Story of Hope and Betrayal in the Age of the Early Republic by John Demos
English | 2014 | ISBN: 0679455108 | 352 pages | EPUB | 18 MB
The astonishing story of a unique missionary project-and the America it embodied-from award-winning historian John Demos.
Near the start of the nineteenth century, as the newly established United States looked outward toward the wider world, a group of eminent Protestant ministers formed a grand scheme for gathering the rest of mankind into the redemptive fold of Christianity and "civilization." Its core element was a special school for "heathen youth" drawn from all parts of the earth, including the Pacific Islands, China, India, and, increasingly, the native nations of North America. If all went well, graduates would return to join similar projects in their respective homelands. For some years, the school prospered, indeed became quite famous. However, when two Cherokee students courted and married local women, public resolve-and fundamental ideals-were put to a severe test.
The Heathen School follows the progress, and the demise, of this first true melting pot through the lives of individual students: among them, Henry Obookiah, a young Hawaiian who ran away from home and worked as a seaman in the China Trade before ending up in New England; John Ridge, son of a powerful Cherokee chief and subsequently a leader in the process of Indian "removal"; and Elias Boudinot, editor of the first newspaper published by and for Native Americans. From its birth as a beacon of hope for universal "salvation," the heathen school descends into bitter controversy, as American racial attitudes harden and intensify. Instead of encouraging reconciliation, the school exposes the limits of tolerance and sets off a chain of events that will culminate tragically in the Trail of Tears.
In The Heathen School, John Demos marshals his deep empathy and feel for the textures of history to tell a moving story of families and communities-and to probe the very roots of American identity.
Buy Premium To Support Me & Get Resumable Support & Max Speed
- Ebooks list page : 27446
- 2017-12-29[PDF] The Heathen School: A Story of Hope and Betrayal in the Age of the Early Republic
- 2014-05-22The Heathen School: A Story of Hope and Betrayal in the Age of the Early Republic
- 2014-05-09The Heathen School: A Story of Hope and Betrayal in the Age of the Early Republic
- 2022-11-29Captive in Iran A Remarkable True Story of Hope and Triumph amid the Horror of Tehran's Brutal Evin Prison
- 2021-08-19The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival by Thomas Geve - Removed
- 2021-07-27The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival, US Edition
- 2021-03-03The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz: A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival
- 2021-02-09The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz: A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival
- 2021-01-28The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival
- 2021-01-22The Boy Who Drew Auschwitz A Powerful True Story of Hope and Survival [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-26Birds of a Feather: A True Story of Hope and the Healing Power of Animals - Removed
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Boundary-Breaking God: An Unfolding Story of Hope and Promise
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Captive in Iran: A Remarkable True Story of Hope and Triumph amid the Horror of Tehran's Brutal Evin Prison
- 2009-11-12The Boundary-Breaking God: An Unfolding Story of Hope and Promise (A Living Way: Emergent Visions)
- 2022-06-27The Remarkable Rise of Eliza Jumel A Story of Marriage and Money in the Early Republic
- 2018-06-05The Dutch Resistance Revealed The Inside Story of Courage and Betrayal
- 2018-05-15The Dutch Resistance Revealed: The Inside Story of Courage and Betrayal
- 2018-05-09The Dutch Resistance Revealed: The Inside Story of Courage and Betrayal
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Murder at the Brown Palace: A True Story of Seduction and Betrayal
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.