Author: Louis Menand
Posted on 2021-04-16, by temrick.
Named a most anticipated book of April by The New York Times | The Washington Post | Oprah Daily
In his follow-up to the Pulitzer Prize–winning The Metaphysical Club, Louis Menand offers a new intellectual and cultural history of the postwar years
The Cold War was not just a contest of power. It was also about ideas, in the broadest sense―economic and political, artistic and personal. In The Free World, the acclaimed Pulitzer Prize–winning scholar and critic Louis Menand tells the story of American culture in the pivotal years from the end of World War II to Vietnam and shows how changing economic, technological, and social forces put their mark on creations of the mind.
How did elitism and an anti-totalitarian skepticism of passion and ideology give way to a new sensibility defined by freewheeling experimentation and loving the Beatles? How was the ideal of “freedom” applied to causes that ranged from anti-communism and civil rights to radical acts of self-creation via art and even crime? With the wit and insight familiar to readers of The Metaphysical Club and his New Yorker essays, Menand takes us inside Hannah Arendt’s Manhattan, the Paris of Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir, Merce Cunningham and John Cage’s residencies at North Carolina’s Black Mountain College, and the Memphis studio where Sam Phillips and Elvis Presley created a new music for the American teenager. He examines the post war vogue for French existentialism, structuralism and post-structuralism, the rise of abstract expressionism and pop art, Allen Ginsberg’s friendship with Lionel Trilling, James Baldwin’s transformation into a Civil Right spokesman, Susan Sontag’s challenges to the New York Intellectuals, the defeat of obscenity laws, and the rise of the New Hollywood.
Stressing the rich flow of ideas across the Atlantic, he also shows how Europeans played a vital role in promoting and influencing American art and entertainment. By the end of the Vietnam era, the American government had lost the moral prestige it enjoyed at the end of the Second World War, but America’s once-despised culture had become respected and adored. With unprecedented verve and range, this book explains how that happened.
- Ebooks list page : 47280
- 2021-05-02The Free World Art and Thought in the Cold War by Louis Menand - Removed
- 2011-11-02A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror free ebook download
- 2020-12-18Photographing the Unseen World Art and Techniques
- 2020-04-20Photographing the Unseen World: Art and Techniques
- 2018-11-13The Monstrous Races in Medieval Art and Thought
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Animals in Art and Thought to the End of the Middle Ages
- 2017-11-21[PDF] The Mystic Ark: Hugh of Saint Victor, Art, and Thought in the Twelfth Century
- 2017-10-30The Screen in Surrealist Art and Thought
- 2017-10-09[PDF] Tragedy and the Tragic in German Literature, Art, and Thought (Studies in German Literature Linguistics and Culture) [German]
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Animals in Art and Thought to the End of the Middle Ages
- 2012-01-21Soviet Ground and Rocket Forces (The Illustrated War Library 4)
- 2012-01-04The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary - Heraclitus - Removed
- 2011-12-25A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror - Patrick Tyler
- 2011-12-04A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror - Patrick Tyler
- 2011-12-01A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror - Patrick Tyler
- 2011-11-18The Art and Thought of Heraclitus - Removed
- 2011-11-16The Art and Thought of Heraclitus: A New Arrangement and Translation of the Fragments with Literary and Philosophical Commentary - Removed
- 2011-11-11The Art and Thought of Heraclitus
- 2011-10-08Mandeville Studies: New Explorations in the Art and Thought of Dr. Bernard Mandeville (1670-1733) (International Archives of the History of Ideas Archives internationales dâ€™histoire des idÃ©es)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.