Posted on 2009-01-28. By anonymous.
Osprey Publishing | 2006-10-31 | ISBN: 1846030161 | 64 pages | PDF | 27 MB
Gibraltar is not only an archetypal fortress, preserving in its dominating topography and walls, bastions and emplacements a rich testament to extended periods of human conflict, but it is also a unique record of the evolution of the sciences of fortification and associated defensive structures over a period of more than six centuries. Gibraltar has a complex and varied military history, lying as it does at the gateway to the Mediterranean and the meeting points of the continents of Europe and Africa. Its history, always shaped by its unique combination of strategic position and topography, begins in ancient times with successive occupations by Phoenicians, Carthaginians and Romans. It then passed through Arab, Castilian and Spanish hands, and has been a British possession since 1704. The Rock served as a base for Nelson's fleet in the Napoleonic Wars and, in World War II, for the Royal Navy's Task Force 'H' and as as a vital stopping place for supply convoys plying to and from the East through the Suez Canal and supporting the Allied effort in the Mediterranean Theater. An unprecedented amount of tunnelling took place on Gibraltar, making it a veritable warren that housed aircraft hangars, ammunition stores, hospitals and even a secret chamber (the Stay-Behind Cave) that was to be manned as an observation post in the event of a hostile takeover.
- Ebooks list page : 2239
- 2008-04-18Osprey - Fortress 52 - The Fortifications of Gibraltar 1068-1945
- 2009-08-24The Fortifications of Gibraltar 1068-1945
- 2010-08-26Osprey Fortress 052: The Fortifications of Gibraltar 1068-19
- 2018-01-12[PDF] The Fortifications of Malta 1530-1945 (Fortress)
- 2014-03-16The Fortifications of Malta 1530-1945 (Osprey Fortress 16)
- 2014-03-10The Fortifications of Malta 1530-1945 (Osprey Fortress 16)
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Fortifications of Verdun 1874-1917 (Fortress)
- 2010-08-23Strongholds of the Picts: The fortifications of Dark Age Scotland (Fortress 92)
- 2010-08-01Strongholds of the Picts: The fortifications of Dark Age Scotland (Fortress 92)
- 2009-03-26The Fortifications of Malta 1530-1945
- 2021-03-02The Fortifications of Ancient Israel and Judah 1200-586 BC (Fortress, 91) (EPUB)
- 2021-02-11The Fortifications of Ancient Israel and Judah 1200-586 BC (Fortress, 91) (EPUB)
- 2019-11-07The Fortifications of Ancient Egypt 3000 1780 BC (Fortress)
- 2019-08-26The Fortifications of Ancient Egypt 3000-1780 BC (Fortress)
- 2019-04-19The Forts and Fortifications of Europe 1815-1945- The Central States- Germany, Au
- 2019-04-09The Forts and Fortifications of Europe 1815-1945- The Central States- Germany, Au...
- 2018-01-12[PDF] Strongholds of the Border Reivers: Fortifications of the Anglo-Scottish Border 1296-1603 (Fortress)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Betrayal at Little Gibraltar: A German Fortress, a Treacherous American General, and the Battle to End World War I [German]
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Forts and Fortifications of Europe 1815-1945: The Central States: Germany, Austria-Hungary and Czechoslovakia
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.