Author: Heather K. Gerken
Publisher: Princeton University Press
Posted on 2011-06-19, by sharebookfree.
The Democracy Index: Why Our Election System Is Failing and How to Fix It
Heather K. Gerken | Princeton University Press | 2011-03-19 | 181 pages | English | PDF
Despite howls for reform, the only thing separating us from another election disaster of the kind that hit Florida in 2000, and that almost struck again in Ohio in 2004, may simply be another close vote. In this lucid and lively book, Heather Gerken diagnoses what is wrong with our elections and proposes a radically new and simple solution: a Democracy Index that would rate the performance of state and local election systems. A rough equivalent to the U.S. News and World Report ranking of colleges and universities, the Index would focus on problems that matter to all voters: How long does it take to vote? How many ballots get discarded? How often do voting machines break down? And it should work for a simple reason: no one wants to be at the bottom of the list.
For a process that is supposed to be all about counting, U.S. elections yield few reliable numbers about anything--least of all how well the voting system is managed. The Democracy Index would change this with a blueprint for quantifying election performance and reform results, replacing anecdotes and rhetoric with hard data and verifiable outcomes. A fresh vision of reform, this book shows how to drive improvements by creating incentives for politicians, parties, and election officials to join the cause of change and to come up with creative solutions--all without Congress issuing a single regulation.
In clear and energetic terms, The Democracy Index explains how to realize the full potential of the Index while avoiding potential pitfalls. Election reform will never be the same again.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 11930
- 2011-05-16The Democracy Index: Why Our Election System Is Failing and How to Fix It
- 2013-01-14Wasting Minds: Why Our Education System Is Failing and What We Can Do About It [Repost]
- 2021-04-15The Leaderless Economy: Why the World Economic System Fell Apart and How to Fix It (EPUB)
- 2019-07-25&(Awesome) - Why You Should Read The Vanishing American Adult: Our Coming-of-Age Crisis—and How to Rebuild a Culture of Self-Reliance by Ben Sasse Online or Download [PDF - EPUB - MOBI]
- 2017-11-17[PDF] The Leaderless Economy: Why the World Economic System Fell Apart and How to Fix It
- 2021-07-23The Intelligence Trap Why smart people do stupid things and how to make wiser decisions
- 2021-07-22The Intelligence Trap Why smart people do stupid things and how to make wiser decisions
- 2020-05-31The Cat Whisperer Why Cats Do What They Do and How to Get Them to Do What Y - Removed
- 2019-07-11What They Do With Your Money How the Financial System Fails Us and How to Fix It
- 2019-03-25The Intelligence Trap Why Smart People Make Stupid Mistakes - and How to Make Wiser Decisions [Au...
- 2017-10-15[PDF] What They Do With Your Money: How the Financial System Fails Us and How to Fix It
- 2017-01-16[PDF] What They Do With Your Money: How the Financial System Fails Us and How to Fix It
- 2012-01-06?Leadership the Hard Way: Why Leadership Can't Be Taught - And How You Can Learn It Anyway
- 2011-12-13Leadership the Hard Way - Why Leadership Can't Be Taught - And How You Can Learn...
- 2011-12-02Leadership the Hard Way Why Leadership Can't Be Taught - And How You Can Learn It Anyway
- 2011-11-30Leadership the Hard Way: Why Leadership Can't Be Taught - And How You Can Learn It Anyway
- 2010-04-08Leadership the Hard Way: Why Leadership Can't Be Taught - And How You Can Learn It Anyway (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
- 2019-11-30The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care--and How to Fix It
- 2019-10-23The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care—and How to Fix It
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.