The Company-State: Corporate Sovereignty and the Early Modern Foundations of the British Empire in India
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-11-17. By anonymous.
2011 | 320 Pages | ISBN: 0195393732 | PDF | 6 MB
The Company-State rethinks the nature of the early English East India Company as a form of polity and corporate sovereign well before its supposed transformation into a state and empire in the mid-eighteenth century. Taking seriously the politics and political thought of the early Company on their own terms, it explores the Company's political and legal constitution as an overseas corporation and the political institutions and behaviors that followed from it, from tax collection and public health to warmaking and colonial plantation. Tracing the ideological foundations of those institutions and behaviors, this book reveals how Company leadership wrestled not simply with the bottom line but with typically early modern problems of governance, such as: the mutual obligations of subjects and rulers; the relationship between law, economy, and sound civil and colonial society; and the nature of jurisdiction and sovereignty over people, commerce, religion, territory, and the sea. The Company-State thus reframes some of the most fundamental narratives in the history of the British Empire, questioning traditional distinctions between public and private bodies, "commercial" and "imperial" eras in British India, a colonial Atlantic and a "trading world" of Asia, European and Asian political cultures, and the English and their European rivals in the East Indies. At its core, The Company-State offers a view of early modern Europe and Asia, and especially the colonial world that connected them, as resting in composite, diffuse, hybrid, and overlapping notions of sovereignty that only later gave way to more modern singular, centralized, and territorially- and nationally-bounded definitions of political community. Given growing questions about the fate of the nation-state and of national borders in an age of "globalization," this study offers a perspective on the vitality of non-state and corporate political power perhaps as relevant today as it was in the seventeenth century.
- Ebooks list page : 23822
- 2018-05-08The Company-State Corporate Sovereignty and the Early Modern Foundations of the British Empire in India
- 2018-07-09Women of the Raj The Mothers, Wives and Daughters of the British Empire in India, 2nd Revised Edition - Removed
- 2018-06-25Women of the Raj The Mothers, Wives and Daughters of the British Empire in India, 2nd Revised Edition - Removed
- 2018-06-11Women of the Raj The Mothers, Wives and Daughters of the British Empire in India, 2nd Revised Edition - Removed
- 2020-04-18An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India
- 2018-01-10[PDF] An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India
- 2011-02-20Stanley Wolpert - Shameful Flight: The Last Years of the British Empire in India
- 2011-08-07State Failure, Sovereignty And Effectiveness: Legal Lessons from the Decolonization of Sub-Saharan Africa
- 2012-06-08The British Tanks 1915-1919
- 2012-06-04The War in Afghanistan 1979-1989: The Soviet Empire at High Tide (Concord #1009)
- 2012-05-16Mr.Churchill's Tank: The British Infantry Tank Mark IV (Schiffer Military History)
- 2012-02-17The present state of the British empire in Europe, America, Africa and Asia by John Goldsmith
- 2021-09-09The Birth of the Republic of Ireland The History of Ireland's Split from the British Empire in the Early 20th Century
- 2021-08-29How Shakespeare Became Colonial Editorial Tradition and the British Empire
- 2021-07-29South Africa and the British Empire The History and Legacy of the Region Under Great Britain's Control
- 2021-06-06Manpower and the Armies of the British Empire in the Two World Wars [PDF]
- 2021-04-19The 1857 Indian Uprising And The British Empire
- 2021-04-02Lord Dufferin, Ireland and the British Empire, c. 1820-1900: Rule by the Best?
- 2021-04-02In Search of a Kingdom: Francis Drake, Elizabeth I, and the Perilous Birth of the British Empire
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.