Posted on 2021-08-08, by book24h.
The Color of the Law: Race, Violence, and Justice in the Post-World War II South (The John Hope Franklin in African American History and Culture) by Gail Williams O'Brien
English | May 31, 1999 | ISBN: 0807848026, 0807824755 | EPUB | 352 pages | 2.6 MB
On February 25, 1946, African Americans in Columbia, Tennessee, averted the lynching of James Stephenson, a nineteen-year-old, black Navy veteran accused of attacking a white radio repairman at a local department store. That night, after Stephenson was safely out of town, four of Columbia's police officers were shot and wounded when they tried to enter the town's black business district. The next morning, the Tennessee Highway Patrol invaded the district, wrecking establishments and beating men as they arrested them. By day's end, more than one hundred African Americans had been jailed. Two days later, highway patrolmen killed two of the arrestees while they were awaiting release from jail.
Drawing on oral interviews and a rich array of written sources, Gail Williams O'Brien tells the dramatic story of the Columbia "race riot," the national attention it drew, and its surprising legal aftermath. In the process, she illuminates the effects of World War II on race relations and the criminal justice system in the United States. O'Brien argues that the Columbia events are emblematic of a nationwide shift during the 1940s from mob violence against African Americans to increased confrontations between blacks and the police and courts. As such, they reveal the history behind such contemporary conflicts as the Rodney King and O. J. Simpson cases.
Visit My Profile News Here : https://www.ebookee.com/user/book24h
- Ebooks list page : 48909
- 2012-05-19German Helmets Of The Second World War Vol.2
- 2012-06-03The Spicer Web: The Romance of a Flying-Boat Flight in the First World War
- 2012-04-11The Royal Armoured Corps Tank Museum (part 3).The Second World War 1940-1946
- 2019-01-24In the Name of Terrorism Presidents on Political Violence in the Post-World War II Era
- 2019-01-11In the Name of Terrorism Presidents on Political Violence in the Post-World War II Era
- 2019-01-10Authoring A Discipline Scholarly Journals and the Post-world War Ii Emergence of Rhetoric and Com
- 2018-12-27In the Name of Terrorism Presidents on Political Violence in the Post-World War II Era
- 2018-12-25Authoring A Discipline Scholarly Journals and the Post-world War Ii Emergence of Rhetoric and Com...
- 2011-03-25In The Name Of Terrorism: Presidents On Political Violence In The Post-world War II Era (Repost)
- 2007-07-06In The Name Of Terrorism: Presidents On Political Violence In The Post-world War II Era
- 2007-06-14In The Name Of Terrorism: Presidents On Political Violence In The Post-world War II Era
- 2021-08-14The International Emergence of Educational Sciences in the Post-World War Two Years
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Italians in Brazil: The Post-World War II Experience (Studies in Modern European History) [Italian]
- 2016-10-23Italians in Brazil The Post-World War II Experience
- 2010-05-15T-34/85 in the Post World War II Era (Museum Ordnance Special Number 6)
- 2012-05-11Panzers In The Balkans And Italy Quarrie (World War 2 Photo Album #19)
- 2012-05-12Battle Colors Volume III: Insignia and Tactical Markings Of The Ninth Air Force In World War Two
- 2023-02-01Policing and Human Rights The Meaning of Violence and Justice in the Everyday Policing of Johannesburg
- 2020-07-18Jazz Diasporas: Race, Music, and Migration in Post-World War II Paris (Music of the African Diaspora)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.