Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2011-01-16. By anonymous.
The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman (Women in the West)
University of Nebraska Press | 2009 | ISBN-10: 0803211481 | 280 pages | PDF | 3 MB
In 1851 Olive Oatman was a thirteen-year old pioneer traveling west toward Zion, with her Mormon family. Within a decade, she was a white Indian with a chin tattoo, caught between cultures. The Blue Tattoo tells the harrowing story of this forgotten heroine of frontier America. Orphaned when her family was brutally killed by Yavapai Indians, Oatman lived as a slave to her captors for a year before being traded to the Mohave, who tattooed her face and raised her as their own. She was fully assimilated and perfectly happy when, at nineteen, she was ransomed back to white society. She became an instant celebrity, but the price of fame was high and the pain of her ruptured childhood lasted a lifetime.
Based on historical records, including letters and diaries of Oatmanâ€™s friends and relatives, The Blue Tattoo is the first book to examine her life from her childhood in Illinoisâ€”including the massacre, her captivity, and her return to white societyâ€”to her later years as a wealthy bankerâ€™s wife in Texas.
Oatmanâ€™s story has since become legend, inspiring artworks, fiction, film, radio plays, and even an episode of Death Valley Days starring Ronald Reagan. Its themes, from the perils of religious utopianism to the permeable border between civilization and savagery, are deeply rooted in the American psyche. Oatmanâ€™s blue tattoo was a cultural symbol that evoked both the imprint of her Mohave past and the lingering scars of westward expansion. It also served as a reminder of her deepest secret, fully explored here for the first time: she never wanted to go home.
- Ebooks list page : 9738
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman (Women in the West)
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Bloody Jack 2 [Audiobook]
- 2012-02-02Civilization: The West and the Rest - Niall Ferguson - Removed
- 2011-12-31Philosophy and Religion in the West (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2011-10-27Presenting Japanese Buddhism to the West: Orientalism, Occidentalism, and the Columbian Exposition
- 2011-08-01Presenting Japanese Buddhism to the West: Orientalism, Occidentalism, and the Columbian Exposition - Removed
- 2011-07-05Inna Di Dancehall: Popular Culture And the Politics of Identity in Jamaica
- 2011-06-22The Man Who Ran Away And Other Stories
- 2011-05-24The Empowering Impulse: The Nationalist Tradition of Barbados
- 2008-03-17The 'West', Islam and Islamism: Is Ideological Islam Compatible With Liberal Democracy?
- 2021-03-08The Life and Times of the Steamboat Red Cloud, or, How Merchants, Mounties, and the Missouri Transformed the West
- 2020-12-08The Goddess Pose The Audacious Life of Indra Devi, the Woman Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West
- 2020-05-13The Goddess Pose: The Audacious Life of Indra Devi, the Woman Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West
- 2020-05-04Tantra for the West: A Direct Path to Living the Life of Your Dreams
- 2020-04-24Sounds of the New Deal: The Federal Music Project in the West (Music in American Life)
- 2019-12-16The Next Billion Users: Digital Life Beyond the West
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Fracture: Life and Culture in the West, 1918-1938
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Sounds of the New Deal: The Federal Music Project in the West (Music in American Life)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West Wicked
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.