Posted on 2008-03-14. By anonymous.
Strange Likeness: The Use of Old English in Twentieth-Century Poetry
Oxford University Press, USA | ISBN: 0199278326 | 288 pages | November 16, 2006 | PDF | 1 Mb
Strange Likeness provides the first full account of how Old English (or Anglo-Saxon) was rediscovered by twentieth-century poets, and the uses to which they put that discovery in their own writing. Chapters deal with Ezra Pound, W. H. Auden, Edwin Morgan, and Seamus Heaney. Stylistic debts to Old English are examined, along with the effects on these poets' work of specific ideas about Old English language and literature as taught while these poets were studying the subject at university. Issues such as linguistic primitivism, the supposed 'purity' of the English language, the politics and ethics of translation, and the construction of 'Englishness' within the literary canon are discussed in the light of these poets and their Old English encounters. Heaney's translation of Beowulf is fully contextualized within the body of the rest of his work for the first time.
- Ebooks list page : 1613
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Age of the Poets - And Other Writings on Twentieth-Century Poetry and Prose
- 2012-01-29Scientific Criteria to Ensure Safe Food - Committee On The Review Of The Use Of Scientific Criteria
- 2020-05-09Anglo-Saxon Emotions: Reading the Heart in Old English Language, Literature and Culture (Studies in Early Medieval Britain and Ireland)
- 2020-02-19Reading the Runes in Old English and Old Norse Poetry
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Scripture and Royal Supremacy in Tudor England: The Use of Old Testament Historical Narrative
- 2012-01-02The Poetics of Old English
- 2011-09-16The Poetics of Old English free ebook download - Removed
- 2011-09-15The Poetics of Old English
- 2020-04-01House of Glass: The Story and Secrets of a Twentieth-Century Jewish Family
- 2018-08-22The Thousand and One Nights and Twentieth-Century Fiction
- 2018-07-01The Shakespeare Effect A History of Twentieth-Century Performance
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Charles Bukowski, Outsider Literature, and the Beat Movement (Routledge Studies in Twentieth-Century Literature)
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Rules, Magic and Instrumental Reason: A Critical Interpretation of Peter Winch's Philosophy of the Social Sciences (Routledge Studies in Twentieth-Century Philosophy)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Sagebrush Trail: Western Movies and Twentieth-Century America (The Modern American West)
- 2017-12-26[PDF] In Passage Perilous: Malta and the Convoy Battles of June 1942 (Twentieth-Century Battles)
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Locating Gender in Modernism: The Outsider Female (Routledge Studies in Twentieth-Century Literature)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Streetlife: The Untold History of Europe's Twentieth Century
- 2017-11-08[PDF] In Pursuit of Equity: Women, Men, and the Quest for Economic Citizenship in Twentieth-Century America
- 2017-11-01The Breast Cancer Wars: Hope, Fear, and the Pursuit of a Cure in Twentieth-Century America
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.