Posted on 2022-08-16, by book2023.
Spectacle of Grief: Public Funerals and Memory in the Civil War Era By Sarah J. Purcell
2022 | 352 Pages | ISBN: 1469668327 | EPUB | 26 MB
This illuminating book examines how the public funerals of major figures from the Civil War era shaped public memories of the war and allowed a diverse set of people to contribute to changing American national identities. These funerals featured lengthy processions that sometimes crossed multiple state lines, burial ceremonies open to the public, and other cultural productions of commemoration such as oration and song. As Sarah J. Purcell reveals, Americans' participation in these funeral rites led to contemplation and contestation over the political and social meanings of the war and the roles played by the honored dead. Public mourning for military heroes, reformers, and politicians distilled political and social anxieties as the country coped with the aftermath of mass death and casualties. Purcell shows how large-scale funerals for figures such as Henry Clay and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson set patterns for mourning culture and Civil War commemoration; after 1865, public funerals for figures such as Robert E. Lee, Charles Sumner, Frederick Douglass, and Winnie Davis elaborated on these patterns and fostered public debate about the meanings of the war, Reconstruction, race, and gender.
More Ebooks ,Course Expensive Download Click Here --> https://dl4all.org || https://oneddl.org
Download From UploadCloud
Download From NovaFile
DONWLOAD FROM RAPIDGATOR
- Ebooks list page : 53824
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Ladies' Hand Book of Fancy and Ornamental Work: Directions and Patterns from the Civil War Era (Dover Books on Knitting and Crochet)
- 2023-01-25Of Age Boy Soldiers and Military Power in the Civil War Era
- 2022-07-28The Gettysburg Campaign The History and Legacy of the Civil War's Most Famous Campaign
- 2022-07-20Sick from Freedom African-American Illness and Suffering During the Civil War and Reconstruction (Audiobook)
- 2022-06-27Unexpected Bravery Women and Children of the Civil War
- 2021-08-30Slavery and Freedom in the Shenandoah Valley During the Civil War Era [Audiobook]
- 2020-11-28The Civil War Era and Reconstruction: An Encyclopedia of Social, Political, Cultural and Economic History
- 2020-11-05Confederate Reckoning: Power and Politics in the Civil War South
- 2020-07-26Unequal Freedoms: Ethnicity, Race, and White Supremacy in Civil WarEra Charleston (Southern Dissent)
- 2020-05-08The World the Civil War Made (The Steven and Janice Brose Lectures in the Civil War Era)
- 2020-02-21Imperfect Union: How Jessie and John Frémont Mapped the West, Invented Celebrity, and Helped Cause the Civil War - Removed
- 2020-01-06The Women's Fight: The Civil War's Battles for Home, Freedom, and Nation (Littlefield History of the Civil War Era)
- 2019-12-12Shipping and Globalization in the Post-War Era: Contexts, Companies, Connections (Palgrave Studies in Maritime Economics)
- 2019-12-09Illusions of Emancipation: The Pursuit of Freedom and Equality in the Twilight of Slavery (Littlefield History of the Civil War Era)
- 2018-10-16Women of the Blue and Gray True Stories of Mothers, Medics, Soldiers, and Spies of the Civil War
- 2018-08-22Women of the Blue and Gray True Stories of Mothers, Medics, Soldiers, and Spies of the Civil War
- 2018-08-11Midnight in America Darkness, Sleep, and Dreams During the Civil War
- 2018-06-02Growing Up with the Country Family, Race, and Nation After the Civil War
- 2018-05-01Growing Up with the Country : Family, Race, and Nation After the Civil War
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.