Posted on 2018-10-16, by manhneovn.
Jim Wright made his mark on virtually every major public policy issue in the later twentieth century--energy, education, taxes, transportation, environmental protection, civil rights, criminal justice, and foreign relations, among them. He played a significant role in peace initiatives in Central America and in the Camp David Accords, and he was the first American politician to speak live on Soviet television. A Democrat representing Texas's twelfth district (Fort Worth), Wright served in the US House of Representatives from the Eisenhower administration to the presidency of George H. W. Bush, including twelve years (1977-1989) as majority leader and speaker. His long congressional ascension and sudden fall in a highly partisan ethics scandal spearheaded by Newt Gingrich mirrored the evolution of Congress as an institution.
Speaker Jim Wrighttraces the congressman's long life and career in a highly readable narrative grounded in extensive interviews with Wright and access to his personal diaries. A skilled connector who bridged the conservative and liberal wings of the Democratic party while forging alliances with Republicans to pass legislation, Wright ultimately fell victim to a new era of political infighting, as well as to his own hubris and mistakes. J. Brooks Flippen shows how Wright's career shaped the political culture of Congress, from its internal rules and power structure to its growing partisanship, even as those new dynamics eventually contributed to his political demise. To understand Jim Wright in all his complexity is to understand the story of modern American politics.
- Ebooks list page : 37457
- 2022-09-12The Great War and the Birth of Modern Medicine A History [Audiobook]
- 2022-08-28The Nervous Stage Nineteenth-century Neuroscience and the Birth of Modern Theatre
- 2022-03-09The Great War and the Birth of Modern Medicine A History
- 2022-01-15Tractor Wars John Deere, Henry Ford, International Harvester, and the Birth of Modern Agriculture
- 2022-01-02Tractor Wars: John Deere, Henry Ford, International Harvester, and the Birth of Modern Agriculture
- 2021-12-15The Scholar Denied W. E. B. Du Bois and the Birth of Modern Sociology [Audiobook]
- 2021-12-04Man of the Futures The Story of Leo Melamed and the Birth of Modern Finance by Leo Melamed - Removed
- 2021-10-19Man of the Futures - The Story of Leo Melamed and the Birth of Modern Finance - Removed
- 2021-04-15Buffalo Bill and the Birth of American Celebrity [PDF]
- 2021-04-10Buffalo Bill and the Birth of American Celebrity [PDF]
- 2021-03-21Karl Marx and the Birth of Modern Society: The Life of Marx and the Development of His Work
- 2021-02-18Karl Marx and the Birth of Modern Society: The Life of Marx and the Development of His Work
- 2021-02-11They Call Me George: The Untold Story of Black Train Porters and the Birth of Modern Canada [Audiobook]
- 2021-02-08Karl Marx and the Birth of Modern Society: The Life of Marx and the Development of His Work
- 2020-12-29The Greatest Game Ever Played Harry Vardon, Francis Ouimet, and the Birth of Modern Golf
- 2020-08-23Masters of the Universe: Hayek, Friedman, and the Birth of Neoliberal Politics - Updated Edition
- 2020-06-16The Scholar Denied: W. E. B. Du Bois and the Birth of Modern Sociology
- 2020-03-28'69 Chiefs: A Team, a Season, and the Birth of Modern Kansas City
- 2019-12-18Giuseppe Mazzini's Young Europe and the Birth of Modern Nationalism in the Slavic World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.