Posted on 2020-05-23, by books_lover.
Sophist Kings: Persians as Other sets forth a reading of Herodotus' Histories that highlights the consistency with which the Persians are depicted as sophists and Persian culture is infused with a sophistic ideology. The Persians as the Greek 'other' have a crucial role throughout Herodotus' Histories, but their characterisation is far divorced from historical reality. Instead, from their first appearance at the beginning of the Histories, Herodotus presents the Persians as adept in the argumentation of Greek sophists active in mid-5th century Athens. Moreover, Herodotus' construct of the Sophist King, in whom political reason serves human ambition, is used to explain the Achaemenid model of kingship whose rule is grounded in a theological knowledge of cosmic order and of divine justice as the political good. This original and in-depth study explores how the ideology which Herodotus ascribes to the Persians comes directly from fifth-century sophists whose arguments served to justify
- Ebooks list page : 43687
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Sophist Kings: Persians as Other in Herodotus
- 2010-11-20The Complete Aeschylus: Volume II: Persians and Other Plays (Greek Tragedy in New Translat
- 2009-07-08The Complete Aeschylus: Volume II: Persians and Other Plays
- 2009-06-10Aeschylus: Persians and Other Plays
- 2020-02-20The Persian War in Herodotus and Other Ancient Voices (General Military)
- 2018-06-01The Mirror of Herodotus The Representation of the Other in the Writing of History
- 2012-03-22Practical Tortoise Raising: and Other Philosophical Essays
- 2012-03-17Tommy Turner - Hit Em Hard. Ju-Jitsu and Other Methods of Defence Simplified
- 2012-03-16Bernard Cornwell - Death Of Kings [Saxon Chronicles, Book 6] - Removed
- 2012-02-02Pediatric Surgery - Robert M. Arensman (other Contributors)
- 2012-01-23Normal Gets You Nowhere: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You
- 2012-01-11Pediatric Surgery - Robert M. Arensman (other Contributors)
- 2012-01-01Roman's Lab Vol. 59 - Attacking the Kings Indian Defense with the Samisch
- 2011-12-31Roman's Lab Vol. 49 - Masterpieces in the Kings Indian Defense
- 2011-12-30Roman's Lab Vol. 45 - New Lines & Novelties for Black in the Accelerated Dragon and Kings Indian Defense - Removed
- 2011-12-29Pediatric Surgery - Robert M. Arensman (other Contributors)
- 2011-11-29Patricia McConnell - The Other End of the Leash
- 2011-10-27Weird Astronomy: Tales of Unusual, Bizarre, and Other Hard to Explain Observations
- 2011-09-16Roman's Lab Vol. 59 - Attacking the Kings Indian Defense with the Samisch
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.