Posted on 2019-01-15, by nokia241186.
Carolyn Nordstrom, "Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century"
English | 2004 | ISBN: 0520242416 | PDF | pages: 308 | 3.6 mb
In this provocative and compelling examination of the deep politics of war, Carolyn Nordstrom takes us from the immediacy of war-zone survival, through the offices of power brokers, to vast extra-legal networks that fuel war and international profiteering. She captures the human face of the front lines, revealing both the visible and the hidden realities of war in the twenty-first century. Shadows of War is grounded in ethnographic research carried out at the epicenters of political violence on several continents. Its pages are populated not only with the perpetrators and victims of war but also with the scoundrels, silent heroes, and average families who live their lives in the midst of explosive violence. War reconfigures our most basic notions of humanity, Nordstrom demonstrates. This book, of crucial importance at the present moment, shows that war is enmeshed in struggles over the very foundations of the sovereign state, the crafting of economic empires both legal and illegal, and innovative searches for peace.
Nordstrom describes the multi-trillion-dollar international financial networks that support warfare. She traces the entangled routes by which illegal drugs, precious gems, weapons, basic food supplies, and pharmaceuticals are moved by an international cast of businesspeople, profiteers, and black-market operators. Shadows of War demonstrates how the experiences of both the architects of war and of ordinary people are deleted from media accounts and replaced with stories about soldiers, weapons, and territory. For the first time, this book retrieves from the shadows the faces of those whose stories seldom reach the light of international recognition.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 38689
- 2019-01-10Shadows of War Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-12-27Shadows of War Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century
- 2007-07-06Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century
- 2007-06-14Shadows of War: Violence, Power, and International Profiteering in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-10-14Chaos in the Liberal Order The Trump Presidency and International Politics in the Twenty-First Century - Removed
- 2020-05-07Senior Power or Senior Peril: Aged Communities and American Society in the Twenty-First Century (Social Logic of Politics)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] International Negotiation in the Twenty-First Century (UT Austin Studies in Foreign and Transnational Law)
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Critical Concepts in Queer Studies and Education: An International Guide for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Senior Power or Senior Peril: Aged Communities and American Society in the Twenty-First Century (Social Logic of Politics)
- 2021-01-18Levinas and Camus Humanism for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-12-19Presence Philosophy, History, and Cultural Theory for the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-08-01World Population and Human Capital in the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-05-21Food Security and Food Safety for the Twenty-first Century: Proceedings of APSAFE2013
- 2020-04-29Anthropology and Development: Challenges for the Twenty-First Century (Anthropology, Culture & Society)
- 2020-04-11Re-Creating Nature: Science, Technology, and Human Values in the Twenty-First Century
- 2020-02-04Sustainability, Green IT and Education Strategies in the Twenty-first Century (Green Energy and Technology)
- 2018-12-05Fields of Faith Theology and Religious Studies for the Twenty-first Century
- 2018-11-27Aesthetics and Technology in Building The Twenty-First-Century Edition
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.