Posted on 2009-09-15. By anonymous.
Publisher: University of Texas Press | ISBN: 0292705255 | edition 2003 | PDF | 408 pages | 8,2 mb
From reviews of the first edition: "This splendid, well-written, amply documented volume is remarkable in several respects, including the fact that, despite being the first extended treatment of its subject, it is likely to remain the definitive one." --Professional Geographer "A fascinating look at the American obsession with historically violent and tragic places." --Western Historical Quarterly "Attitudes, values, beliefs, and experiences all play a part in the national collective unconscious that leads some sites to be sanctified, others to be obliterated, and still others to be ignored. Foote provides a valuable perspective on this process in a well-written and thoroughly illustrated book that offers a provocative theoretical perspective on the imprinting of historical memory on the American landscape." --Public Historian "[This] is an erudite history and description of how Americans have, or have not, interpreted/recognized the meaning of violent and tragic events throughout their history." --Space and Culture Shadowed Ground explores how and why Americans have memorialized--or not--the sites of tragic and violent events spanning three centuries of history and every region of the country. For this revised edition, Kenneth Foote has written a new concluding chapter that looks at the evolving responses to recent acts of violence and terror, including the destruction of the Branch Davidian compound at Waco, Texas, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Columbine High School massacre, and the terrorist attacks of 9/11.
Download many interesting free eBooks HERE
!!! No mirrors please !!!
- Ebooks list page : 3461
- 2009-10-28Shadowed Ground: America's Landscapes of Violence and Tragedy
- 2020-12-18State Violence and Genocide in Latin America The Cold War Years
- 2020-01-13Politics and History of Violence and Crime in Central America - Removed
- 2019-08-24Politics and History of Violence and Crime in Central America
- 2018-04-17While the City Slept A Love Lost to Violence and a Wake-Up Call for Mental Health Care in America [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-16[PDF] Politics and History of Violence and Crime in Central America - Removed
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Armies without Nations: Public Violence and State Formation in Central America, 1821-1960
- 2017-11-18[PDF] Killer on the Road: Violence and the American Interstate (Discovering America)
- 2017-10-12[PDF] The Many Faces of Judge Lynch: Extralegal Violence and Punishment in America - Removed
- 2017-10-06[PDF] China on the Ground in Latin America: Challenges for the Chinese and Impacts on the Region (The Political Economy of East Asia) - Removed
- 2017-09-18The Street Politics of Abortion Speech, Violence, and America's Culture Wars
- 2017-04-09[PDF] From Jeremiad to Jihad: Religion, Violence, and America
- 2017-02-06[PDF] The Many Faces of Judge Lynch: Extralegal Violence and Punishment in America - Removed
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Killer on the Road: Violence and the American Interstate (Discovering America)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Armies without Nations: Public Violence and State Formation in Central America, 1821-1960
- 2010-02-06Armed actors - Organized violence and state failure in Latin America
- 2009-12-16Armies without Nations: Public Violence and State Formation in Central America, 1821-1960
- 2009-11-13Fractured Cities: Social Exclusion, Urban Violence and Contested Spaces in Latin America
- 2021-02-17European Revolutions and the Ottoman Balkans: Nationalism, Violence and Empire in the Long Nineteenth Century
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.