Posted on 2018-11-07, by voska89.
Scripture And Scholarship in Early Modern England By Ariel Hessayon, Nicholas Keene
2006 | 255 Pages | ISBN: 0754638936 | PDF | 8 MB
The Bible is the single most influential text in Western culture, yet the history of biblical scholarship in early modern England has yet to be written. There have been many publications in the last quarter of a century on heterodoxy, particularly concentrating on the emergence of new sects in the mid-seventeenth century and the perceived onslaught on the clerical establishment by freethinkers and Deists in the late-seventeenth and early-eighteenth century. However, the study of orthodoxy has languished far behind. This volume of complementary essays will be the first to embrace orthodox and heterodox treatments of scripture, and in the process question, challenge and redefine what historians mean when they use these terms. The collection will dispel the myth that a critical engagement with sacred texts was the preserve of radical figures: anti-scripturists, Quakers, Deists and freethinkers. For while the work of these people was significant, it formed only part of a far broader debate incorporating figures from across the theological spectrum engaging in a shared discourse. To explore this discourse, scholars have been drawn together from across the fields of history, theology and literary criticism. Areas of investigation include the inspiration, textual integrity and historicity of scriptural texts, the relative authority of canon and apocrypha, prophecy, the comparative merits of texts in different ancient languages, developing tools of critical scholarship, utopian and moral interpretations of scripture and how scholars read the Bible. Through a study of the interrelated themes of orthodoxy and heterodoxy, print culture and the public sphere, and the theory and practice of textual interpretation, our understanding of the histories of religion, theology, scholarship and reading in seventeenth-century England will be enhanced.
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 37658
- 2020-05-07Alien Albion: Literature and Immigration in Early Modern England
- 2020-05-05Of Books and Botany in Early Modern England: Sixteenth-Century Plants and Print Culture (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
- 2020-04-29Mapping and Charting in Early Modern England and France: Power, Patronage, and Production (Toposophia: Sustainability, Dwelling, Design)
- 2019-11-08Culinary Shakespeare Staging Food and Drink in Early Modern England
- 2019-08-27Culinary Shakespeare Staging Food and Drink in Early Modern England
- 2019-08-26Demonic Possession and Exorcism in Early Modern England; Contemporary Texts and their Cultural Contexts
- 2018-12-14Melancholy and the Care of the Soul Religion, Moral Philosophy and Madness in Early Modern England
- 2018-12-04Elizabeth I in Writing Language, Power and Representation in Early Modern England
- 2018-11-20In Pursuit of Civility Manners and Civilization in Early Modern England
- 2018-11-10Of Books and Botany in Early Modern England Sixteenth-Century Plants and Print Culture
- 2018-07-31Poetry and Vision in Early Modern England
- 2018-06-12Poetry and Vision in Early Modern England
- 2018-03-20Witchcraft, the Devil, and Emotions in Early Modern England
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Women, Food Exchange, and Governance in Early Modern England (Early Modern Literature in History) - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Order and Disorder in Early Modern England
- 2017-12-15[PDF] Literature and Favoritism in Early Modern England
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Crime and Mentalities in Early Modern England (Cambridge Studies in Early Modern British History)
- 2017-10-21[PDF] Mapping and Charting in Early Modern England and France: Power, Patronage, and Production (Toposophia: Sustainability, Dwelling, Design)
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Carnival and Literature in Early Modern England
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.