Science Between Myth and History: The Quest for Common Ground and Its Importance for Scientific Practice
Posted on 2021-06-14, by nokia241186.
English | 2021 | ISBN: 0198864965 | 366 pages | True PDF | 8.83 MB
Scientists regularly employ historical narrative as a rhetorical tool in their communication of science, yet there's been little reflection on its effects within scientific communities and beyond. Science Between Myth and History begins to unravel these threads of influence. The stories
scientists tell are not just poorly researched scholarly histories, they are myth-histories, a chimeric genre that bridges distinct narrative modes. This study goes beyond polarizing questions about who owns the history of science and establishes a common ground from which to better understand the
messy and lasting legacy of the stories scientists tell. It aims to stimulate vigorous conversation among science practitioners, scholars, and communicators.
Scientific myth-histories undoubtedly deliver value, coherence, and inspiration to their communities. They are tools used to broker scientific consensus, resolve controversies, and navigate power dynamics. Yet beyond the explicit intent and rationale behind their use, these narratives tend to have
great rhetorical power and social agency that bear unintended consequences. This book unpacks the concept of myth-history and explores four case studies in which scientist storytellers use their narratives to teach, build consensus, and inform the broader public. From geo-politically informed
quantum interpretation debates to high-stakes gene-editing patent disputes, these case studies illustrate the implications of storytelling in science.
Science Between Myth and History calls on scientists not to eschew writing about their history, but to take more account of the stories they tell and the image of science they project. In this time of eroding common ground, when many find themselves dependent on, yet distrustful of scientific
research, this book interrogates the effects of mismatched, dissonant portraits of science.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 47941
- 2021-07-22Science Between Myth and History The Quest for Common Ground and Its Importance for Scientific Practice
- 2019-03-11An Unnatural History of Religions Academia, Post-truth and the Quest for Scientific Knowledge
- 2019-03-05An Unnatural History of Religions Academia, Post-truth and the Quest for Scientific Knowledge
- 2012-05-19Germany's Panther Tank: The Quest for Combat Supremacy
- 2012-03-14Making Science: Between Nature and Society By Stephen Cole
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Freezing Physics: Heike Kamerlingh Onnes and the Quest for Cold (Edita - History of Science and Scholarship in the Netherlands)
- 2011-09-05Brain Facts: A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System free ebook download
- 2021-07-27Crafting History Archiving and the Quest for Architectural Legacy
- 2021-04-07The History of South Vietnam Lam: The Quest for Legitimacy and Stability, 1963 1967
- 2020-12-17The Quest for the Wicker Man History, Folklore and Pagan Perspectives
- 2020-11-23Newton the Alchemist: Science, Enigma, and the Quest for Nature's "Secret Fire" (EPUB)
- 2020-07-11Science and the Production of Ignorance When the Quest for Knowledge Is Thwarted
- 2020-06-09The Murderous History of Bible Translations: Power, Conflict, and the Quest for Meaning
- 2020-04-20The Murderous History of Bible Translations Power, Conflict, and the Quest for M...
- 2020-03-09Science and the Production of Ignorance: When the Quest for Knowledge Is Thwarted (The MIT Press)
- 2020-01-14Truth or Beauty Science and the Quest for Order
- 2019-09-26The Quest for the Trinity: The Doctrine of God in Scripture, History and Modernity
- 2019-08-24The Quest for the Trinity The Doctrine of God in Scripture, History and Modernity
- 2019-01-26Newton the Alchemist Science, Enigma, and the Quest for Nature
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.