Posted on 2020-04-28, by books_lover.
The American commitment to international human rights emerged in the 1970s not as a logical outgrowth of American idealism but as a surprising response to national trauma, as Barbara Keys shows in this provocative history. Reclaiming American Virtue situates this novel enthusiasm as a reaction to the profound challenge of the Vietnam War and its tumultuous aftermath. Instead of looking inward for renewal, Americans on the right and the left alike looked outward for ways to restore America's moral leadership. Conservatives took up the language of Soviet dissidents to resuscitate a Cold War narrative that pitted a virtuous United States against the evils of communism. Liberals sought moral cleansing by dissociating the United States from foreign malefactors, spotlighting abuses such as torture in Chile, South Korea, and other right-wing allies. When Jimmy Carter in 1977 made human rights a central tenet of American foreign policy, his administration struggled to reconcile these conflict
- Ebooks list page : 43426
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Reclaiming American Virtue: The Human Rights Revolution of the 1970s
- 2020-01-22The Conservative Human Rights Revolution: European Identity, Transnational Politics, and the Origins of the European Convention
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Conservative Human Rights Revolution
- 2018-01-15[PDF] The Conservative Human Rights Revolution: European Identity, Transnational Politics, and the Origins of the European Convention
- 2011-11-15Children and Transitional Justice: Truth-Telling, Accountability and Reconciliation (Human Rights Program Series)
- 2011-10-09Beyond Collusion
- 2011-09-20World Report 2011: Events of 2010 (Human Rights Watch World Report)
- 2011-08-04Children and Transitional Justice: Truth-Telling, Accountability and Reconciliation (Human Rights Program Series)
- 2011-07-27World Report 2011: Events of 2010 (Human Rights Watch World Report)
- 2011-07-20Beyond Collusion
- 2009-12-21American Exceptionalism and Human Rights
- 2020-12-27Human Rights and the Negotiation of American Power
- 2020-06-20Human Rights and the Food Sovereignty Movement: Reclaiming control (Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment)
- 2019-12-20Feminism for the Americas: The Making of an International Human Rights Movement (Gender and American Culture)
- 2019-11-21The Age of Questions: Or, A First Attempt at an Aggregate History of the Eastern, Social, Woman, American, Jewish, Polish, Bullion, Tuberculosis, and ... (Human Rights and Crimes Against Humanity)
- 2018-08-10The Inter-American Human Rights System Impact Beyond Compliance
- 2018-03-20The American Crucible: Slavery, Emancipation and Human Rights
- 2018-01-10[PDF] Human Rights Trade-Offs in Times of Economic Growth: The Long-Term Capability Impacts of Extractive-Led Development (Latin American Political Economy) - Removed
- 2018-01-07[PDF] The American Crucible: Slavery, Emancipation and Human Rights
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.