Posted on 2019-12-30, by books_lover.
Medieval Italian communes are known for their violence, feuds, and vendettas, yet beneath this tumult was a society preoccupied with peace. Peace and Penance in Late Medieval Italy is the first book to examine how civic peacemaking in the age of Dante was forged in the crucible of penitential religious practice. Focusing on Florence in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, an era known for violence and civil discord, Katherine Ludwig Jansen brilliantly illuminates how religious and political leaders used peace agreements for everything from bringing an end to neighborhood quarrels to restoring full citizenship to judicial exiles. She brings to light a treasure trove of unpublished evidence from notarial archives and supports it with sermons, hagiography, political treatises, and chronicle accounts. She paints a vivid picture of life in an Italian commune, a socially and politically unstable world that strove to achieve peace. Jansen also assembles a wealth of visual material from t
- Ebooks list page : 42291
- 2020-02-28Suspect Saints and Holy Heretics: Disputed Sanctity and Communal Identity in Late Medieval Italy
- 2017-11-23[PDF] City and Countryside in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy: Essays Presented to Philip Jones
- 2020-05-05Authority, Gender and Emotions in Late Medieval and Early Modern England (Genders and Sexualities in History)
- 2020-03-13Christians and Muslims in Early Medieval Italy: Perceptions, Encounters, and Clashes (Studies in Medieval History and Culture) - Removed
- 2019-07-11Schools and Schooling in Late Medieval Germany
- 2019-03-25Cultural Exchange and Identity in Late Medieval Ireland: The English and Irish of the Four Obedient Shires
- 2018-05-10Family, Work, and Household in Late Medieval Iberia A Social History of Manresa at the Time of the Black Death
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Alcohol, Sex, and Gender in Late Medieval and Early Modern Europe (Early Modern History)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Art And Architecture Of Late Medieval Pilgrimage In Northern Europe And The British Isles Texts (Studies in Medieval and Reformation Traditions,)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Land and Power in Late Medieval Ferrara: The Rule of the Este, 1350-1450 (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Life and Thought: Fourth Series)
- 2018-01-14Saint Vincent Ferrer, His World and Life; Religion and Society in Late Medieval Europe (The New Middle Ages) - Removed
- 2018-01-08[PDF] Women and Wealth in Late Medieval Europe (The New Middle Ages)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Politics and Justice in Late Medieval Bologna (Medieval Law and Its Practice) - Removed
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Prestige, Authority and Power in Late Medieval Manuscripts and Texts (York Manuscripts Conference)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Poetry, Knowledge and Community in Late Medieval France (Gallica)
- 2017-10-27[PDF] The Laws of Late Medieval Italy (1000-1500)
- 2017-10-11[PDF] The Wealth of Wives: Women, Law, and Economy in Late Medieval London
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Authority, Gender and Emotions in Late Medieval and Early Modern England (Genders and Sexualities in History)
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Wealth of Wives: Women, Law, and Economy in Late Medieval London
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.