[PDF] Writing Beijing: Urban Spaces and Cultural Imaginations in Contemporary Chinese Literature and Films
Posted on 2017-11-23, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Yiran Zheng | Publisher: Lexington Books | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 166 | ISBN: 1498531016 | ISBN13: 9781498531016 |
Description: One of the oldest cities in the world, Beijing was an imperial capital for centuries. After the founding of the Peoples Republic of China in 1949, Beijing became not only the political center of the new communist country, but also the signifier of socialist ideol-ogy and revolutionary culture. Now, in the 21st century, Beijing embodies global conflicts and global connections. Over the course of the last century, then, Beijing moved from the quintessential traditional capital to the symbol of communist urban form and finally to a cosmopolitan metropolis. These three stages in the history of Beijing and its shifting representations are the topic of this study. Like other capitals, Beijing is much more than its physical entity. It also functions as a concept, a representation. As city planners have (and continue to) present Beijing to the world as a model, the fluctuating images of Beijing have become solidified in urban space. Today, the urban form of Beijing juxtaposes diverse spaces that span centuries, embodying the various representations of the city by its planners in different eras. These representations of space also provide possibilities for writers to rethink and rebuild the city in their literary works. Chinese writers and filmmakers often essentialize those urban spaces by making them symbols of different urban cultures, the old houses representing traditional, patriarchal Chinese culture while soviet-style buildings reflect revolu-tionary culture. Finally, the more recent sprouting of apartments, condos, and townhouses stands for the invasion of western modernity and provides evidence of global capitalism in contemporary China. Inspired by Henri Lefebvre, this study establishes a framework that connects urban spaces (representations of space) to writers and literary productions (representational space). I analyze the three major urban spatial forms of traditional, communist, and glob-alized Beijing and examine what these urban spaces mean to Chinese writers and filmmakers as well as how they use them to configure particular images of Beijing. I argue that these different configurations are actually the projections of those writers and filmmakers own cultural imaginations they provoke a form of emotional catharsis and also produce alternative visions of the cityscape.
Writing Beijing: Urban Spaces and Cultural Imaginations in Contemporary Chinese Literature and Films.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33715
- 2017-04-07[PDF] Festivalisation of Urban Spaces: Factors, Processes and Effects (Springer Geography) - Removed
- 2012-06-08Canadian Gardening - Creating A Garden: Designs for Every Kind of Garden - from Country Settings to Urban Spaces
- 2020-10-22Pedestrians, Urban Spaces and Health: Proceedings of the XXIV International Conference on Living and Walking in Cities
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Elements of Hilbert Spaces and Operator Theory - Removed
- 2018-01-25[PDF] Public Places - Urban Spaces
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Writing Science (Science, Technology and Medicine in Ancient Cultures)
- 2017-12-23[PDF] E 'Infinite' Ring Spaces and E 'Infinite' Ring Spectra (Lecture Notes in Mathematics) - Removed
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Introduction to Banach Spaces and Algebras (Oxford Graduate Texts in Mathematics)
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Writing Movies for Fun and Profit: How We Made a Billion Dollars at the Box Office and You Can, Too!
- 2017-12-02[PDF] World Heritage, Urban Design and Tourism: Three Cities in the Middle East
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Staying Italian: Urban Change and Ethnic Life in Postwar Toronto and Philadelphia (Historical Studies of Urban America) - Removed
- 2017-11-25[PDF] Writing Celebrity: Stein, Fitzgerald, and the Modern(ist) Art of Self-Fashioning (American Literature Readings in the Twenty-First Century) - Removed
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Singular Perturbations I: Spaces and Singular Perturbations on Manifolds Without Boundary (Studies in Mathematics and its Applications)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Writing With Emotion, Tension, and Conflict: Techniques for Crafting an Expressive and Compelling Novel - Removed
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Emerald Cities: Urban Sustainability and Economic Development
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Viking Worlds: Things, Spaces and Movement
- 2017-11-08[PDF] Path Integrals, Hyperbolic Spaces and Selberg Trace Formulae: 2nd Edition
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Modern Dublin: Urban Change and the Irish Past, 1957-1973
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Writing Colonisation: Violence, Landscape, and the Act of Naming in Modern Italian and Australian Literature (Currents in Comparative Romance Languages and Literatures)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.