Posted on 2017-11-19, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Eduardo de la Fuente | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 192 | ISBN: 0415962080 | ISBN13: 9780415962087 |
Description: In the first decade of the twentieth-century, many composers rejected the principles of tonality and regular beat. This signaled a dramatic challenge to the rationalist and linear conceptions of music that had existed in the West since the Renaissance. The â€˜break with tonalityâ€™, Neo-Classicism, serialism, chance, minimalism and the return of the â€˜sacredâ€™ in music, are explored in this book for what they tell us about the condition of modernity. Modernity is here treated as a complex social and cultural formation, in which mythology, narrative, and the desire for â€˜re-enchantmentâ€™ have not completely disappeared. Through an analysis of Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Boulez and Cage, 'the author shows that the twentieth century composer often adopted an artistic personality akin to Max Weberâ€™s religious types of the prophet and priest, ascetic and mystic. Twentieth Century Music and the Question of Modernity advances a cultural sociology of modernity and shows that twentieth century musical culture often involved the adoption of â€˜apocalypticâ€™ temporal narratives, a commitment to â€˜musical revolutionâ€™, a desire to explore the limits of noise and sound, and, finally, redemption through the rediscovery of tonality. This book is essential reading for those interested in cultural sociology, sociological theory, music history, and modernity/modernism studies.
Twentieth Century Music and the Question of Modernity.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33595
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Twentieth Century Music and the Question of Modernity
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Twentieth-Century Music and Politics: Essays in Memory of Neil Edmunds
- 2017-12-11[PDF] The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Eighteenth-Century Fiction and the Reinvention of Wonder
- 2017-12-07[PDF] Sweet Anticipation: Music and the Psychology of Expectation (Bradford Books)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Eighteenth-Century Aesthetics and the Reconstruction of Art
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Eighteenth-Century Poetry and the Rise of the Novel Reconsidered (Transits: Literature, Thought & Culture, 1650-1850)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown (Profiles in Popular Music)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] T.E. Hulme and the Question of Modernism
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Twentieth-century Space And Astronomy: A History of Notable Research And Discovery (Twentieth-Century Science)
- 2017-10-03[PDF] Twentieth-Century War and Conflict: A Concise Encyclopedia
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Twentieth Century Mystics and Sages
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Sweet Anticipation: Music and the Psychology of Expectation (Bradford Books)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class: Dreaming in Middletown (Profiles in Popular Music)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Eighteenth-Century Fiction and the Reinvention of Wonder
- 2012-09-11The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West (Repost)
- 2012-01-11Killing Freud: Twentieth Century Culture and the Death of Psychoanalysis - Todd Dufresne
- 2011-12-16Killing Freud: Twentieth Century Culture and the Death of Psychoanalysis - Todd Dufresne
- 2011-11-30Killing Freud: Twentieth Century Culture and the Death of Psychoanalysis
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.