[PDF] Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
Posted on 2017-12-13, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Andrew Hamilton | Publisher: Cambridge Scholars Publishing | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 220 | ISBN: 1847188370 | ISBN13: 9781847188373 |
Description: Free trade has become a highly politicized term, but its origins, historical context, and application to policy decisions have been largely overlooked. This book examines the relationship between liberal political economy and the changing conception of empire in the eighteenth century, investigating how the doctrine of laissez-faire economics influenced politicians charged with restructuring the transatlantic relationship between Britain and the newly independent America. As prime minister during the peace negotiations to end the American Revolution in 17823, Lord Shelburne understood that the British Empire had to be radically reconceived. Informed by the economic philosophies of Adam Smith, he envisioned a new commercial empire based upon trade instead of the archaic model of territorial conquests. Negotiations between Shelburne and the American statesmen Benjamin Franklin and John Adams demonstrate the application of Smiths commercial theories to the British-American peace settlement. By tracing the genealogy of laissez-faire, this book locates the historical background from which modern ideas of free trade, empire, and cosmopolitanism emerged. Benjamin Vaughan, confidential secretary to Shelburne during the peace talks, is established as an important historical figure, and his treatise, New and Old Principles of Trade Compared (1788), is identified as a significant contribution to the literature of political economy. An interdisciplinary study integrating history, economics, and philosophy, Trade and Empire offers a new perspective on the intellectual history of the eighteenth-century Atlantic world.
Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World.pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
9648 dl's @ 2238 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
7551 dl's @ 2280 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
6060 dl's @ 3626 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 34340
- 2016-10-20Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
- 2019-02-22Secret Cures of Slaves People, Plants, and Medicine in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
- 2019-01-28Secret Cures of Slaves People, Plants, and Medicine in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World
- 2011-11-07Managing Construction and Infrastructure in the 21st Century Bureau of Reclamation
- 2021-08-24Brothers of Coweta Kinship, Empire, and Revolution in the Eighteenth-Century Muscogee World
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Plague and Empire in the Early Modern Mediterranean World: The Ottoman Experience, 1347-1600
- 2022-08-23The Island Race Englishness, Empire and Gender in the Eighteenth Century
- 2021-08-06The Townshend Moment The Making of Empire and Revolution in the Eighteenth Century
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Reviewing Shakespeare: Journalism and Performance from the Eighteenth Century to the Present
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Tools of the Imagination: Drawing Tools and Technologies from the Eighteenth Century to the Present
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Tribes and Empire on the Margins of Nineteenth-Century Iran (Publications on the Near East)
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Dangerous Liaisons: Fashion and Furniture in the Eighteenth Century (Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Agents of Empire: Knights, Corsairs, Jesuits and Spies in the Sixteenth-Century Mediterranean World
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Tribes and Empire on the Margins of Nineteenth-Century Iran (Publications on the Near East)
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Agents of Empire: Knights, Corsairs, Jesuits and Spies in the Sixteenth-Century Mediterranean World
- 2009-06-05East Encounters West: France and the Ottoman Empire in the Eighteenth Century
- 2023-02-28Actors, Audiences, and Emotions in the Eighteenth Century Communities of Sentiment - Removed
- 2021-12-25Young Subjects Children, State-Building, and Social Reform in the Eighteenth-Century French World
- 2021-11-26Young Subjects - Children, State-Building, and Social Reform in the Eighteenth-Century French World
No comments for "[PDF] Trade and Empire in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.