Posted on 2018-01-04, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael Meyer | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 272 | ISBN: 1416558454 | ISBN13: 9781416558453 |
Description: ON THE TWENTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL, MICHAEL MEYER PROVIDES A RIVETING EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT OF THE COLLAPSE OF COMMUNISM IN EASTERN EUROPE THAT BRILLIANTLY REWRITES OUR CONVENTIONAL UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THE COLD WAR CAME TO AN END AND HOLDS IMPORTANT LESSONS FOR AMERICA'S CURRENT GEOPOLITICAL CHALLENGES. " Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" President Ronald Reagan's famous exhortation when visiting Berlin in 1987 has long been widely cited as the clarion call that brought the Cold War to an end. The United States won, so this version of history goes, because Ronald Reagan stood firm against the USSR American resoluteness brought the evil empire to its knees. Michael Meyer, who was there at the time as a Newsweek bureau chief, begs to differ. In this extraordinarily compelling account of the revolutions that roiled Eastern Europe in 1989, he shows that American intransigence was only one of many factors that provoked world-shaking change. Meyer draws together breathtakingly vivid, on-the-ground accounts of the rise of the Solidarity movement in Poland, the stealth opening of the Hungarian border, the Velvet Revolution in Prague and the collapse of the infamous wall in Berlin. But the most important events, Meyer contends, occurred secretly, in the heroic stands taken by individuals in the thick of the struggle, leaders such as poet and playwright Vaclav Havel in Prague the Baltic shipwright Lech Walesa the quietly determined reform prime minister in Budapest, Miklos Nemeth and the man who privately realized that his empire was already lost, and decided -- with courage and intelligence -- to let it go in peace,Soviet general secretary of the communist party, Mikhail Gorbachev. Reporting for Newsweek from the frontlines in Eastern Europe, Meyer spoke to these players and countless others. Alongside their deliberate interventions were also the happenstance and human error of history that are always present when events accelerate to breakneck speed. Meyer captures these heady days in all of their rich drama and unpredictability. In doing so he provides not just a thrilling chronicle of the most important year of the twentieth century but also a crucial refutation of American political mythology and a triumphal misunderstanding of history that seduced the United States into many of the intractable conflicts it faces today. The Year That Changed the World will change not only how we see the past, but also our understanding of America's future.
The Year that Changed the World: The Untold Story Behind the Fall of the Berlin Wall.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35014
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Berlin Wall and the Inner-German Border 1961-89
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Berlin Wall: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and a Showdown in the Heart of Europe
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Twelve Diseases That Changed Our World
- 2017-10-10[PDF] The Berlin Wall Crisis: Perspectives on Cold War Alliances - Removed
- 2017-02-07[PDF] The Berlin Wall Crisis: Perspectives on Cold War Alliances - Removed
- 2011-12-04No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military) - No Greater Ally, The Untold Story, World War, Osprey General Military - Removed
- 2011-11-17No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military)
- 2022-11-28AD 33 The Year that Changed the World
- 2020-02-19The World Broke in Two: Virginia Woolf, T. S. Eliot, D. H. Lawrence, E. M. Forster, and the Year That Changed Literature - Removed
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Six Months That Changed the World: The Paris Peace Conference of 1919 (The Modern Scholar) (Audiobook)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Six Months That Changed the World: The Paris Peace Conference of 1919 (The Modern Scholar) (Audiobook)
- 2018-01-06[PDF] 1536: The Year That Changed Henry VIII
- 2017-12-29[PDF] Fifty Cars That Changed the World (Fifty (Conran Octopus))
- 2017-12-21[PDF] 100 Mistakes that Changed History: Backfires and Blunders That Collapsed Empires, Crashed Economies, and Altered the Course of Our World
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Detroit 67: The Year That Changed Soul
- 2017-11-10[PDF] 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History [Audiobook]
- 2017-10-17[PDF] Five Equations that Changed the World: The Power and Poetry of Mathematics
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Ten Prayers That Changed the World: Extraordinary Stories of Faith That Shaped the Course of History
- 2017-10-13[PDF] 50 Guns That Changed the World: Iconic Firearms That Altered the Course of History
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.