Posted on 2017-11-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Daniel Smith | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 1845136179 | ISBN13: 9781845136178 |
Description: After food rationing was introduced in 1940, and German U-boats began threatening merchant shipping bringing in essential foodstuffs, the Ministry of Agriculture decided something had to be done to make the kitchens of Britain more self-sufficient. The result was one of Britain's most successful propaganda campaigns â€“ Dig for Victory â€“ encouraging every man and woman to turn their garden, or even the grass verge in their street, over to cultivating vegetables. By 1942 half the population were taking part, and even the Royal Family had sacrificed their rose beds for growing onions. Now, Daniel Smith tells the full story of this remarkable wartime episode when spades, forks and bean canes became weapons the ordinary citizen could take up against the enemy. It had tangible benefits for the war effort in that shipping could be reallocated for munitions instead of food imports, as well as for the health of the nation in encouraging a diet of fresh fruit and veg. The campaign threw up unexpected celebrities like C.H. Middleton, whose wartime BBC radio talks on gardening reached a vast audience, and it even sowed the seeds for the modern allotment movement. Ultimately it is a war story without fighting or killing, one that shows how even The Little Man with the Spade, in the words of the Minister for Agriculture at the time, did his bit for Victory.
The Spade as Mighty as the Sword: The Story of World War Two's Dig for Victory Campaign.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33145
- 2017-11-05[PDF] The Spade as Mighty as the Sword: The Story of World War Two's Dig for Victory Campaign
- 2012-05-21The Royal Air Force of World War Two In Colour
- 2017-10-12[PDF] The Story Of World War Two: When Nations Collide
- 2012-06-07The Reich Intruders: Dramatic RAF Medium Bomber Raids Over Europe in World War Two
- 2012-05-16The Horse Soldier 1776-1943 Vol.IV: World War I, the Peacetime Army, World War II 1917-1943
- 2012-05-12Battle Colors Volume III: Insignia and Tactical Markings Of The Ninth Air Force In World War Two
- 2012-06-07The German Army in World War II (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Hellcat: The F6F in World War Two
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The SAS in World War II (General Military)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Total War: The Story of World War II
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Second Front (World War II)
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Marines in World War II
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Spy with 29 Names: The story of World War II's most audacious spy
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Origins of World War I
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The Origins of World War II
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Remembering the Road to World War Two: International History, National Identity, Collective Memory
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Navy of World War II, 1922-1947
- 2017-12-13[PDF] MUSTANG THE INSPIRATION: The Plane That Turned the Tide in World War Two
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.