Posted on 2017-11-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Adam Drazin, Susanne Kuchler | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 336 | ISBN: 1472592646 | ISBN13: 9781472592644 |
Description: Materials play a central role in society. Beyond the physical and chemical properties of materials, their cultural properties have often been overlooked in anthropological studies: finished products have been perceived as 'social' yet the materials which comprise them are considered 'raw' or natural'. The Social Life of Materials proposes a new perspective in this interdisciplinary field. Diverting attention from the consumption of objects, the book looks towards the properties of materials and how these exist through many transformations in a variety of cultural contexts.Human societies have always worked with materials. However, the customs and traditions surrounding this differ according to the place, the time and the material itself. Whether or not the material is man-made, materials are defined by social intervention. Today, these constitute one of the most exciting areas of global scientific research and innovation, harboring the potential to act as key vehicles of change in the world. But this 'materials revolution' has complex social implications. Smart materials are designed to anticipate our actions and needs, yet we are increasingly unable to apprehend the composite materials which comprise new products.Bringing together ethnographic studies of cultures from around the world, this collection explores the significance of materials by moving beyond questions of what may be created from them. Instead, the text argues that the materials themselves represent a shifting ground around which relationships, identities and powers are constantly formed and dissolved in the act of making and remaking.
The Social Life of Materials: Studies in Materials and Society.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 33402
- 2020-06-08The Social Life of Materials
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Social Economics of Jean-Baptiste Say: Markets and Virtue (Routledge Studies in the History of Economics)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Social Life of Money
- 2017-12-01[PDF] The Social Life of Numbers: A Quechua Ontology of Numbers and Philosophy of Arithmetic
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces
- 2017-11-09[PDF] The Social Life of Climate Change Models: Anticipating Nature
- 2017-11-05[PDF] The Social Life of Ink: Culture Wonder And Our Relationship With The Written Word
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Medical Technologie and the Life World(Critical Studies in Health and Society)
- 2017-10-18[PDF] The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation After the Genome
- 2017-02-16[PDF] The Social Life of Climate Change Models: Anticipating Nature
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Medical Technologie and the Life World(Critical Studies in Health and Society)
- 2017-01-14[PDF] The Social Life of Numbers: A Quechua Ontology of Numbers and Philosophy of Arithmetic
- 2021-07-31The Social Life of Kimono Japanese Fashion Past and Present
- 2019-06-26The Social Life of Financial Derivatives Markets, Risk, and Time
- 2018-11-23The Social Life of Painting in Ancient Rome and on the Bay of Naples
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Philosophy of Food (California Studies in Food and Culture)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Environment and Development in the Straits of Malacca (Routledge Studies in Development and Society)
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Basic Problems of Phenomenology (Studies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Pantomime Life of Joseph Grimaldi: Laughter, Madness and the Story of Britain's Greatest Comedian
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.