Posted on 2017-12-26, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Chad E. Seales | Category: Christianity | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 0199860289 | ISBN13: 9780199860289 |
Description: Tracing the religious history of Siler City, North Carolina, Chad E. Seales argues that southern whites cultivated their own regional brand of American secularism and employed it, alongside public religious performances, to claim and regulate public spaces. Over the course of the twentieth century, they wielded secularism to segregate racialized bodies, to challenge local changes resulting from civil rights legislation, and to respond to the arrival of Latino migrants. Combining ethnographic and archival sources, Seales studies the themes of industrialization, nationalism, civility, privatization, and migration through the local history of Siler City its neighborhood patterns, Fourth of July parades, Confederate soldiers, minstrel shows, mock weddings, banking practices, police shootings, Good Friday processions, public protests, and downtown mural displays. Offering a spatial approach to the study of performative religion, The Secular Spectacle presents a generative narrative of secularism from the perspective of evangelical Protestants in the American South.
The Secular Spectacle: Performing Religion in a Southern Town.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34736
- 2017-01-11[PDF] The Secular Spectacle: Performing Religion in a Southern Town
- 2018-01-31[PDF] The Secular Landscape: The Decline of Religion in America - Removed
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Secular State Under Siege: Religion and Politics in Europe and America
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Expansion of Tolerance: Religion in Dutch Brazil (1624-1654) (Amsterdam Studies in the Dutch Golden Age)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The French Wars of Religion, 1562-1629 (New Approaches to European History) [French]
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Science Fiction Mythmakers: Religion, Science and Philosophy in Wells, Clarke, Dick and Herbert (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- 2018-01-07[PDF] The Pariah Problem: Caste, Religion, and the Social in Modern India (Cultures of History)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] The Early Wittgenstein on Religion
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Quotidian Revolution: Vernacularization, Religion, and the Premodern Public Sphere in India
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Blackwell Companion to Religion and Violence
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Blackwell Companion to Religion in America
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason
- 2017-12-24[PDF] The Columbia Guide to Religion in American History (Columbia Guides to American History and Cultures)
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Power of Tantra: Religion, Sexuality and the Politics of South Asian Studies (Library of Modern Religion)
- 2017-12-18[PDF] The Faith Instinct: How Religion Evolved and Why It Endures
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The God Impulse: Is Religion Hardwired into the Brain?
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Postsecular Imagination: Postcolonialism, Religion, and Literature (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Severity of God: Religion and Philosophy Reconceived
- 2017-11-21[PDF] The Transformation of Politicised Religion: From Zealots into Leaders
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.