Posted on 2017-10-23, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Peter Neill | Category: Geosciences | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 091817256X | ISBN13: 9780918172563 |
Description: Peter Neillâ€™sThe Once and Future Ocean aspires to do nothing less than transform our relationship with the worldâ€™s most promising and imperiled natural element: the ocean and the inter-connected cycles of water, essential for all aspects of human survival in the 21st century. A successor to Rachael Carsonâ€™s The Sea Around Us, Aldo Leopoldâ€™s Sand County Almanac, and Jonathan Schellâ€™s The Fate of the Earth, The Once and Future Ocean is ambitious in scope yet grounded in actionable, specific ideas and solutions for preserving the health of the world ocean. It explores the ocean's impact on climate, fresh water, food, energy, health, security, sustainable development, community living, and cultural traditions. Beginning with a discursive analysis of the most pertinent issues relating to the present condition of both land and sea, Neill provides a persuasive argument for â€œwhy the ocean mattersâ€ and how its sustainability and careful use, from mountain-top to abyssal plain, can establish a new paradigm for value and social behavior around which to build a new post-industrial, post-consumption global community. This fundamental shift is directed toward the creation of a â€œnew hydraulic societyâ€ wherein water in all its cycles and conveyances will determine how we live â€“ from our buildings and cities to the structures of governance by which we succeed in an increasingly populated world.. Neill calls for a new ocean ethic and offers concrete examples of technologies and applications that already exist but have been suppressed by complacency and political subversion financed by exhausted vested interests. The Once and Future Ocean offers a bold vision for a practical and possible future, based on a revolutionary paradigm shift that can be implemented through the political will of thousands of citizens of the ocean who understand the necessity for change, the logic of a new moral alternative, and the reality of the consequences if we fail to act in time. The Once and Future Ocean relies heavily on the scientific communityâ€™s contribution to information about the world ocean and is written with a deep familiarity with ocean policy. It is presented as a personal realization â€“ equally rewarding read in one sitting or in segments â€“ and is not intended for a limited audience of experts, academics, or policy-makers. Accessible, powerful, persuasive, and lyrical, The Once and Future Ocean argues for invention and new solutions, for new answers to fundamental questions, and for a new relationship built around the ocean as a source for new modes of living that are within our grasp if only we have the courage to take hold.
The Once and Future Ocean: Notes Toward a New Hydraulic Society.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32696
- 2020-07-25The Once and Future Ocean: Notes Toward a New Hydraulic Society
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Once and Future Turing: Computing the World
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Once and Future Great Lakes Country: An Ecological History (Mcgill-Queen's Rural, Wildland, and Resouces Studies)
- 2017-12-09[PDF] The Once and Future Spy
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Once and Future Spy
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Russia: The Once and Future Empire From Pre-History to Putin - Removed
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Gold: The Once and Future Money
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Finding Arthur: The True Origins of the Once and Future King
- 2021-03-01The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend
- 2021-02-11The Once and Future Queen: Guinevere in Arthurian Legend
- 2020-12-08Advent The Once and Future Coming of Jesus Christ
- 2020-07-22The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America
- 2020-01-09The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics
- 2018-11-01Perspectives on the Restoration of the Mississippi Delta The Once and Future Delta
- 2018-08-11Perspectives on the Restoration of the Mississippi Delta The Once and Future Delta
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Past and Future City: How Historic Preservation is Reviving America's Communities
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Past and Future of Information Systems: 1976 -2006 and Beyond: IFIP 19th World Computer Congress, TC-8, Information System Stream, August 21-23, ... in Information and Communication Technology) - Removed
- 2018-01-10[PDF] The Impact and Future of Arts and Humanities Research - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.