Posted on 2017-10-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Sean McFate | Category: Non-fiction | Language: English | Page: 1 | ISBN: 0199360103 |
Description: It was 2004, and Sean McFate had a mission in Burundi: to keep the president alive and prevent the country from spiraling into genocide without anyone knowing that the United States was involved. The United States was, of course, involved, but only through McFate's employer, the military contractor DynCorp International. Throughout Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East, similar scenarios are playing out daily. The United States can no longer go to war or carry out covert operations without contractors. In 2010, the Pentagon's budget for private contractors was seven times the entire U.K. defense budget. How did this state of affairs come to be? How does the shadowy world of military contracting actually operate? And what do trends suggest about the future of war and international relations? We simply don't know much about the structure of the industry, how private military companies operate, and where this industry is heading. Typically led by ex-military men, such firms are by their very nature secretive. Even the US governmentâ€”the entity that actually pays themâ€”knows relatively little. In Private Armies, former industry insider Sean McFate lays bare the opaque world of private military contractors, explaining the economic structure of the industry and showing in detail how firms operate on the ground. As a former paratrooper and private military contractor, McFate provides an unparalleled perspective into the nuts and bolts of the industry, as well as a sobering prognosis for the future of war. While at present the U.S. government and U.S. firms dominate the market, private military companies are emerging from other countries, and warlords and militias have restyled themselves as private security companies in places like Afghanistan and Somalia. To understand how the proliferation of private forces may influence international relations, McFate looks back to the European Middle Ages, when mercenaries were common and contract warfare the norm. He concludes that international relations in the twenty-first century may have more in common with the twelfth century than the twentieth. This "back to the future" situation, which he calls neomedievalism, is not necessarily a negative condition, but it will produce a global system that contains rather than solves problems. A decidedly non-polemical account (a rarity in this field), Private Armies is the first work that combines a broad-ranging theory of the phenomenon with an insider's understanding of what the world of the private military industry is actually like.
The Modern Mercenary: Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32594
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Modern Mercenary: Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order
- 2021-02-11The Modern Mercenary: Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order
- 2021-01-22The Modern Mercenary Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order
- 2021-01-20The Modern Mercenary Private Armies and What They Mean for World Order
- 2017-12-24[PDF] 101 Things Everyone Should Know About Economics: From Securities and Derivatives to Interest Rates and Hedge Funds, the Basics of Economics and What They Mean for You - Removed
- 2017-10-13[PDF] How We Think About Dementia: Personhood, Rights, Ethics, the Arts and What They Mean for Care
- 2020-05-14How We Think About Dementia: Personhood, Rights, Ethics, the Arts and What They Mean for Care
- 2020-04-20101 Things Everyone Should Know About Economics: From Securities and Derivatives to Interest Rates and Hedge Funds, the Basics of Economics and What They Mean for You
- 2019-07-29@(Good) - Why You Should Read The Thing with Feathers: The Surprising Lives of Birds and What They Reveal About Being Human by Noah Strycker Online or Download [EPUB MOBI PDF]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Revolting!: How the Establishment are Undermining Democracy and What They're Afraid Of
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Thing with Feathers: The Surprising Lives of Birds and What They Reveal About Being Human
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Ultimate Book of Horse Bits: What They Are, What They Do, and How They Work
- 2017-11-28[PDF] Feeding the Hungry Ghost: Life, Faith, and What to Eat for Dinner - A Satisfying Diet for Unsatisfying Times
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them
- 2017-11-21[PDF] College (Un)Bound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students [Audiobook]
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing - Removed
- 2017-02-10[PDF] The Great Divide: Unequal Societies and What We Can Do About Them
- 2016-12-29[PDF] The Masters of Private Equity and Venture Capital: Management Lessons from the Pioneers of Private Investing
- 2020-11-24Word of the Day: 365 Essential English Words, What They Mean, and How to Use Them
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.