Posted on 2018-01-05, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Sebastian Mallaby | Publisher: Penguin Press | Category: Management | Language: English | Page: 800 | ISBN: 1594204845 | ISBN13: 9781594204845 |
Description: The definitive biography of the most important economic statesman of our time Sebastian Mallaby's magisterial biography of Alan Greenspan, the product of over five years of research based on untrammeled access to his subject and his closest professional and personal intimates, brings into vivid focus the mysterious point where the government and the economy meet. To understand Greenspan's story is to see the economic and political landscape of the last 30 yearsand the presidency from Reagan to George W. Bushin a whole new light. As the most influential economic statesman of his age, Greenspan spent a lifetime grappling with a momentous shift: the transformation of finance from the fixed and regulated system of the post-war era to the free-for-all of the past quarter century. The story of Greenspan is also the story of the making of modern finance, for good and for ill. Greenspan's life is a quintessential American success story: raised by a single mother in the Jewish migr community of Washington Heights, he was a math prodigy who found a niche as a stats-crunching consultant. A master at explaining the economic weather to captains of industry, he translated that skill into advising Richard Nixon in his 1968 campaign. This led to a perch on the White House Council of Economic Advisers, and then to a dazzling array of business and government roles, from which the path to the Fed was relatively clear. A fire-breathing libertarian and disciple of Ayn Rand in his youth who once called the Fed's creation a historic mistake, Mallaby shows how Greenspan reinvented himself as a pragmatist once in power. In his analysis, and in his core mission of keeping inflation in check, he was a maestro indeed, and hailed as such. At his retirement in 2006, he was lauded as the age's necessary man, the veritable God in the machine, the global economy's avatar. His memoirs sold for record sums to publishers around the world. But then came 2008. Mallaby's story lands with both feet on the great crash which did so much to damage Alan Greenspan's reputation. Mallaby argues that the conventional wisdom is off base: Greenspan wasn't a nave ideologue who believed greater regulation was unnecessary. He had pressed for greater regulation of some key areas of finance over the years, and had gotten nowhere. To argue that he didn't know the risks in irrational markets is to miss the point. He knew more than almost anyone the question is why he didn't act, and whether anyone else could or would have. A close reading of Greenspan's life provides fascinating answers to these questions, answers whose lessons we would do well to heed. Because perhaps Mallaby's greatest lesson is that economic statesmanship, like political statesmanship, is the art of the possible. The Man Who Knew is a searching reckoning with what exactly comprised the art, and the possible, in the career of Alan Greenspan.
The Man Who Knew: The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35045
- 2018-11-10The Man Who Knew The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan
- 2017-04-02The Man Who Knew The Life and Times of Alan Greenspan (Audiobook)
- 2012-05-18The Illustrated Red Baron: The Life and Times of Manfred von Richthofen
- 2012-03-07Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius (Audiobook) By Marc J. Seifer, read by Simon Prebble
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Life and Times of Persimmon Wilson: A Novel
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Light This Candle: The Life and Times of Alan Shepard
- 2017-11-24[PDF] The Life and Times of William Boule.: Dead girls tell no tales. A heart-pounding action thriller...
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Life and Times of Mary Musgrove
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Life and Times of Call the Midwife: The Official Companion to Season One and Two
- 2017-10-30[PDF] The life and times of Albert George Stow, of Walthamstow, as told by himself.: A love story.
- 2017-10-07[PDF] The Life and Times of Franz Alexander: From Budapest to California (The History of Psychoanalysis Series)
- 2016-12-28[PDF] The Life and Times of Call the Midwife: The Official Companion to Season One and Two
- 2020-02-07The Last Man Who Knew Everything: The Life and Times of Enrico Fermi, Father of the Nuclear Age
- 2017-11-17[PDF] The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: The Life and Times of Jacob Fugger
- 2020-05-06The Man Who Ran Washington: The Life and Times of James A. Baker III - Removed
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, the Couple Who Taught America How to Love [Audiobook]
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Delta Blues: The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters Who Revolutionized American Music
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Ramblin' Man: The Life and Times of Woody Guthrie
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Intimate Wars: The Life and Times of the Woman Who Brought Abortion from the Back Alley to the Board Room
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.