Posted on 2018-01-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael T. Searcy | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 192 | ISBN: 0816529094 | ISBN13: 9780816529094 |
Description: In The Life-Giving Stone, Michael Searcy provides a thought-provoking ethnoarchaeological account of metate and mano manufacture, marketing, and use among Guatemalan Maya for whom these stone implements are still essential equipment in everyday life and diet. Although many archaeologists have regarded these artifacts simply as common everyday tools and therefore unremarkable, Searcys methodology reveals how, for the ancient Maya, the manufacture and use of grinding stones significantly impacted their physical and economic welfare. In tracing the life cycle of these tools from production to discard for the modern Maya, Searcy discovers rich customs and traditions that indicate how metates and manos have continued to sustain lifenot just literally, in terms of food, but also in terms of culture. His research is based on two years of fieldwork among three Mayan groups, in which he documented behaviors associated with these tools during their procurement, production, acquisition, use, discard, and re-use. Searcys investigation documents traditional practices that are rapidly being lost or dramatically modified. In few instances will it be possible in the future to observe metates and manos as central elements in household provisioning or follow their path from hand-manufacture to market distribution and to intergenerational transmission. In this careful inquiry into the cultural significance of a simple tool, Searcys ethnographic observations are guided both by an interest in how grinding stone traditions have persisted and how they are changing today, and by the goal of enhancing the archaeological interpretation of these stones, which were so fundamental to pre-Hispanic agriculturalists with corn-based cuisines.
The Life-Giving Stone: Ethnoarchaeology of Maya Metates.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35847
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F-k. Christmas Edition
- 2017-10-22[PDF] The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
- 2017-02-06[PDF] The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck: How to Stop Spending Time You Don't Have with People You Don't Like Doing Things You Don't Want to Do
- 2012-05-18The Illustrated Red Baron: The Life and Times of Manfred von Richthofen
- 2012-03-07Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius (Audiobook) By Marc J. Seifer, read by Simon Prebble
- 2019-01-15The Life-Giving Leader Learning to Lead from Your Truest Self [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-11The Life-Giving Leader Learning to Lead from Your Truest Self [Audiobook]
- 2018-12-25The Life-Giving Leader Learning to Lead from Your Truest Self [Audiobook]
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Life of Slang
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Life of Robert Frost (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies)
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Life Before Her Eyes
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Life and Work of John C. Campbell - Removed
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Life and Works of John Napier
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Shelters of Stone (Earth's Children Series) [AudioBook]
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Life of Buzzards
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Life Cycles of the Council on Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency: 1970 - 2035
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Life of D. H. Lawrence (Wiley Blackwell Critical Biographies)
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Life and Legend of Chris Kyle: American Sniper, Navy SEAL [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.