Posted on 2018-01-17, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Shmuel Feiner | Publisher: University of Pennsylvania Press | Category: Religion Other | Language: English | Page: 456 | ISBN: 0812221729 | ISBN13: 9780812221725 |
Description: At the beginning of the eighteenth century most European Jews lived in restricted settlements and urban ghettos, isolated from the surrounding dominant Christian cultures not only by law but also by language, custom, and dress. By the end of the century urban, upwardly mobile Jews had shaved their beards and abandoned Yiddish in favor of the languages of the countries in which they lived. They began to participate in secular culture and they embraced rationalism and non-Jewish education as supplements to traditional Talmudic studies. The full participation of Jews in modern Europe and America would be unthinkable without the intellectual and social revolution that was the Haskalah, or Jewish Enlightenment. Unparalleled in scale and comprehensiveness, The Jewish Enlightenment reconstructs the intellectual and social revolution of the Haskalah as it gradually gathered momentum throughout the eighteenth century. Relying on a huge range of previously unexplored sources, Shmuel Feiner fully views the Haskalah as the Jewish version of the European Enlightenment and, as such, a movement that cannot be isolated from broader eighteenth-century European traditions. Critically, he views the Haskalah as a truly European phenomenon and not one simply centered in Germany. He also shows how the republic of letters in European Jewry provided an avenue of secularization for Jewish society and culture, sowing the seeds of Jewish liberalism and modern ideology and sparking the Orthodox counterreaction that culminated in a clash of cultures within the Jewish community. The Haskalah's confrontations with its opponents within Jewry constitute one of the most fascinating chapters in the history of the dramatic and traumatic encounter between the Jews and modernity. The Haskalah is one of the central topics in modern Jewish historiography. With its scope, erudition, and new analysis, The Jewish Enlightenment now provides the most comprehensive treatment of this major cultural movement.
The Jewish Enlightenment (Jewish Culture and Contexts).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35404
- 2017-11-22[PDF] The Insight of Unbelievers: Nicholas of Lyra and Christian Reading of Jewish Text in the Later Middle Ages (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Beyond Religious Borders: Interaction and Intellectual Exchange in the Medieval Islamic World (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-04-02[PDF] The Jews of Eastern Europe, 1772-1881 (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-11-25The Insight of Unbelievers: Nicholas of Lyra and Christian Reading of Jewish Text in the Later Middle Ages (Jewish Culture and Contexts) - Removed
- 2020-12-13Missionaries, Converts, and Rabbis (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2017-12-29[PDF] The Jewish Press and the Holocaust, 1939-1945: Palestine, Britain, the United States, and the Soviet Union
- 2011-10-09Old Worlds, New Mirrors: On Jewish Mysticism and Twentieth-Century Thought (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-09-18Old Worlds, New Mirrors: On Jewish Mysticism and Twentieth-Century Thought (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2011-06-09A Kingdom of Priests: Ancestry and Merit in Ancient Judaism (Jewish Culture and Contexts) - Removed
- 2011-05-14A Kingdom of Priests: Ancestry and Merit in Ancient Judaism (Jewish Culture and Contexts)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Anthropologist as Writer: Genres and Contexts in the Twenty-First Century
- 2018-01-07[PDF] The Other Freud: Religion, Culture and Psychoanalysis
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of Culture and Psychology (Oxford Library of Psychology)
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Lustrous Trade: Material Culture and the History of Sculpture in England and Italy, c.1700-c.1860
- 2017-02-13[PDF] The Other Freud: Religion, Culture and Psychoanalysis
- 2017-01-10[PDF] The Oxford Handbook of Culture and Psychology (Oxford Library of Psychology)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Cambridge Dictionary of Judaism and Jewish Culture
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Into the World of the New Testament: Greco-Roman and Jewish Texts and Contexts
- 2009-07-02Enlightenment in the Colony: The Jewish Question and the Crisis of Postcolonial Culture
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.