[PDF] The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development (Dover Books on Mathematics)
Posted on 2018-01-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Carl B. Boyer | Publisher: Dover Publications; First Edition | Category: Mathematics | Language: English | Page: 368 | ISBN: 0486605094 | ISBN13: 9780486605098 |
Description: This book, for the first time, provides laymen and mathematicians alike with a detailed picture of the historical development of one of the most momentous achievements of the human intellect ? the calculus. It describes with accuracy and perspective the long development of both the integral and the differential calculus from their early beginnings in antiquity to their final emancipation in the 19th century from both physical and metaphysical ideas alike and their final elaboration as mathematical abstractions, as we know them today, defined in terms of formal logic by means of the idea of a limit of an infinite sequence. But while the importance of the calculus and mathematical analysis ? the core of modern mathematics ? cannot be overemphasized, the value of this first comprehensive critical history of the calculus goes far beyond the subject matter. This book will fully counteract the impression of laymen, and of many mathematicians, that the great achievements of mathematics were formulated from the beginning in final form. It will give readers a sense of mathematics not as a technique, but as a habit of mind, and serve to bridge the gap between the sciences and the humanities. It will also make abundantly clear the modern understanding of mathematics by showing in detail how the concepts of the calculus gradually changed from the Greek view of the reality and immanence of mathematics to the revised concept of mathematical rigor developed by the great 19th century mathematicians, which held that any premises were valid so long as they were consistent with one another. It will make clear the ideas contributed by Zeno, Plato, Pythagoras, Eudoxus, the Arabic and Scholastic mathematicians, Newton, Leibnitz, Taylor, Descartes, Euler, Lagrange, Cantor, Weierstrass, and many others in the long passage from the Greek "method of exhaustion" and Zeno's paradoxes to the modern concept of the limit independent of sense experience and illuminate not only the methods of mathematical discovery, but the foundations of mathematical thought as well.
The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development (Dover Books on Mathematics).pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
9450 dl's @ 3119 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
8909 dl's @ 3581 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
9702 dl's @ 3341 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development (Dover Books on Mathematics)
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 35153
- 2011-07-09The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development
- 2009-07-30The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development
- 2012-01-21Examination of the U.S. Air Force’s Aircraft Sustainment Needs in the Future and Its Strategy to Meet Those Needs - Committee On Examination Of The U.S. Air Force's Aircraft Sustainment Needs In The Future And Its St
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Early Mathematical Manuscripts of Leibniz (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2017-11-29[PDF] The Red Book of Mathematical Problems (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2017-10-04[PDF] The Concept of a Riemann Surface (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] Introduction to Partial Differential Equations and Hilbert Space Methods (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2017-11-15[PDF] One Two Three . . . Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples: A Global History, Volume II: Since 1500
- 2017-12-30[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples: A Global History, Brief Edition, Volume II: Since 1500
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples: A Global History, Volume I: To 1550
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples A Global History, Brief Edition, Volume I: To 1550
- 2017-11-25[PDF] The Atlantic and Its Enemies: A History of the Cold War - Removed
- 2017-11-01[PDF] The Earth and Its Peoples. A Global History (5th edition)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Brain and Its Self: A Neurochemical Concept of the Innate and Acquired Drives - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Self and its Defenses: From Psychodynamics to Cognitive Science - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Palmetto and Its South Carolina Home
- 2018-01-07[PDF] The Internet and Its Protocols: A Comparative Approach (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Networking)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Retina and its Disorders
No comments for "[PDF] The History of the Calculus and Its Conceptual Development (Dover Books on Mathematics)".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.