Posted on 2017-10-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jennifer Ackerman | Category: Biology | Language: English | Page: 352 | ISBN: 1594205213 | ISBN13: 9781594205217 |
Description: Birds are astonishingly intelligent creatures. In fact, according to revolutionary new research, some birds rival primates and even humans in their remarkable forms of intelligence. Like humans, many birds have enormous brains relative to their size. Although small, bird brains are packed with neurons that allow them to punch well above their weight. In The Genius of Birds, acclaimed author Jennifer Ackerman explores the newly discovered brilliance of birds and how it came about. As she travels around the world to the most cutting-edge frontiers of researchâ€” the distant laboratories of Barbados and New Caledonia, the great tit communities of the United Kingdom and the bowerbird habitats of Australia, the ravaged mid-Atlantic coast after Hurricane Sandy and the warming mountains of central Virginia and the western statesâ€”Ackerman not only tells the story of the recently uncovered genius of birds but also delves deeply into the latest findings about the bird brain itself that are revolutionizing our view of what it means to be intelligent. Consider, as Ackerman does, the Clarkâ€™s nutcracker, a bird that can hide as many as 30,000 seeds over dozens of square miles and remember where it put them several months later the mockingbirds and thrashers, species that can store 200 to 2,000 different songs in a brain a thousand times smaller than ours the well-known pigeon, which knows where itâ€™s going, even thousands of miles from familiar territory and the New Caledonian crow, an impressive bird that makes its own tools. But beyond highlighting how birds use their unique genius in technical ways, Ackerman points out the impressive social smarts of birds. They deceive and manipulate. They eavesdrop. They display a strong sense of fairness. They give gifts. They play keep-away and tug-of-war. They tease. They share. They cultivate social networks. They vie for status. They kiss to console one another. They teach their young. They blackmail their parents. They alert one another to danger. They summon witnesses to the death of a peer. They may even grieve.
The Genius of Birds.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32314
- 2017-10-16[PDF] The Genius of Birds [Audiobook]
- 2020-07-22The Genius of Birds
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Genius of Instinct: Reclaim Mother Nature's Tools for Enhancing Your Health, Happiness, Family, and Work
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Genius of Being: Contemplating the Profound Intelligence of Existence
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Genius of Ancient Man
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter Than You Think
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Genius Factor: How to Capture an Invisible Cat
- 2018-01-24[PDF] The Island of Birds: Book Two in the Dark Sea Trilogy
- 2018-01-23[PDF] The Genius of Judaism
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The Genius of Shakespeare - Removed
- 2018-01-17[PDF] The Genius of Japanese Carpentry: Secrets of an Ancient Craft
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Ghosts of Birds
- 2018-01-04[PDF] The Genius of Euler: Reflections on his Life and Work
- 2018-01-01[PDF] The Folklore of Birds (Collins New Naturalist Library, Book 39)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Genius of Islam: How Muslims Made the Modern World
- 2017-12-26[PDF] The Genius of Flexibility: The Smart Way to Stretch and Strengthen Your Body
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Genius Files #4: From Texas with Love
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism
- 2017-12-23[PDF] The Genius Files #2: Never Say Genius
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.