Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jeffrey A. Engel | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 248 | ISBN: 0199376212 | ISBN13: 9780199376216 |
Description: The specter of global war loomed large in President Franklin Roosevelt's mind as he prepared to present his 1941 State of the Union address. He believed the United States had a role to play in the battle against Nazi and fascist aggression already underway in Europe, yet his rallying cry to the nation was about more than just national security or why Americans should care about a fight still far overseas. He instead identified how Americans defined themselves as a people, with words that resonated and defined the parameters of American politics and foreign policy for generations. Roosevelt framed America's role in the conflict, and ultimately its role in forging the post-war world to come, as a fight for freedom. Four freedoms, to be exact: freedom of speech, freedom from want, freedom of religion, and freedom from fear. In this new look at one of the most influential presidential addresses ever delivered, historian Jeffrey A. Engel joins together with five other leading scholars to explore how each of Roosevelt's freedoms evolved over time, for Americans and for the wider world. They examine the ways in which the word "freedom" has been used by Americans and others, across decades and the political spectrum. However, they are careful to note that acceptance of the freedoms has been far from universal even within the United States. Freedom from want, especially, has provoked clashes between those in favor of an expanded welfare state and proponents of limited government from the 1940s to the present day. In this sweeping look at the way American conceptions of freedom have evolved over time,The Four Freedoms brings to light a new portrait of who Americans were in 1941 and who they have become today in their own eyes-and in the eyes of the entire world.
The Four Freedoms: Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Evolution of an American Idea.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35649
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Fight for the Four Freedoms: What Made FDR and the Greatest Generation Truly Great
- 2017-11-19[PDF] Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal: 1932-1940
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Rightful Heritage: Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Land of America
- 2016-12-27[PDF] Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal: 1932-1940
- 2020-12-06Franklin D. Roosevelt and the American Century [Audiobook]
- 2020-05-14The Fight for the Four Freedoms: What Made FDR and the Greatest Generation Truly Great
- 2017-10-22[PDF] America's Transatlantic Turn: Theodore Roosevelt and the 'Discovery' of Europe - Removed
- 2013-06-01Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Third American Revolution [Repost]
- 2011-10-17Mario R. DiNunzio, "Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Third American Revolution"
- 2011-10-13Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Third American Revolution
- 2018-02-02[PDF] The Confessions of an American Black Widow : A True Story of Greed, Lust and a Murderous Wife - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of Applied Harmonic Analysis: Models of the Real World (Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis) - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Year That Defined American Journalism: 1897 and the Clash of Paradigms
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Evolution of the Property Relation: Understanding Paradigms, Debates, and Prospects - Removed
- 2018-01-31[PDF] A Companion to Franklin D. Roosevelt [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The Evolution of Modern Land Warfare: Theory and Practice (Routledge Library Editions: Military and Naval History) (Volume 7)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] The Columbia Guide to American Indians of the Southwest (The Columbia Guides to American Indian History and Culture)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Evolution of Consciousness: Implications for Mental Health and Quality of Life - Removed
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Evolution Underground: Burrows, Bunkers, and the Marvelous Subterranean World Beneath our Feet
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.