[PDF] The Enlightenment on Trial: Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
Posted on 2018-01-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Bianca Premo | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 384 | ISBN: 0190638737 | ISBN13: 9780190638733 |
Description: This is a history of the Enlightenmentâ€“the rights-oriented, formalist, secularizing, freedom-inspired eighteenth-century movement that defined modern Western law. But rather than members of a cosmopolitan Republic of Letters, its principal protagonists are non-literate, poor, and enslaved litigants who sued their superiors in the royal courts of Spain's American colonies. Despite growing evidence of the Hispanic world's contributions to Enlightenment science, the writing of history, and statecraft, the region is conventionally believed to have taken an alternate route to modernity. This book grapples with the contradiction between this legacy and eighteenth-century Spanish Americans' active production of concepts fundamental to modern law. The Enlightenment on Trial offers readers new insight into how Spanish imperial subjects created legal documents, fresh interpretations of the intellectual transformations and legal reform policies of the period, and comparative analysis of the volume of civil suits from six regions in Mexico, Peru and Spain. Ordinary litigants in the coloniesâ€“far more often than peninsular Spaniardsâ€“sued superiors at an accelerating pace in the second half of the eighteenth century. Three types of cases increased even faster than a stunning general rise of civil suits in the colonies: those that slaves, native peasants and women initiated against masters, native leaders and husbands. As they entered court, these litigants advanced a new law-centered culture distinct from the casuistic, justice-oriented legal culture of the early modern period. And they did so at precisely the same time that a few bright minds of Europe enshrined new ideas in print. The conclusion considers why, if this is so, the Spanish empire has remained marginal to the story of the advent of the modern West.
The Enlightenment on Trial: Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire.pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
9082 dl's @ 3208 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
6716 dl's @ 3843 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
6545 dl's @ 3059 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] The Enlightenment on Trial: Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 35622
- 2020-02-17The Enlightenment on Trial: Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
- 2019-02-28The Enlightenment on Trial Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
- 2019-02-23The Enlightenment on Trial Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
- 2019-01-31The Enlightenment on Trial Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Star Wars on Trial: Science Fiction And Fantasy Writers Debate the Most Popular Science Fiction Films of All Time (Smart Pop series)
- 2017-10-15[PDF] Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Troubled Empire: China in the Yuan and Ming Dynasties (History of Imperial China)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] The American Union and the Problem of Neighborhood: The United States and the Collapse of the Spanish Empire, 1783-1829 [Spanish]
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Spanish Civil War: Revolution and Counterrevolution [Spanish]
- 2018-01-21[PDF] The Roman Empire and the Silk Routes: The Ancient World Economy and the Empires of Parthia, Central Asia and Han China
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Spanish Resurgence, 1713-1748 (The Lewis Walpole Series in Eighteenth-Century Culture and History)
- 2018-01-05[PDF] The Ottoman Empire and the Bosnian Uprising: Janissaries, Modernisation and Rebellion in the Nineteenth Century (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Transatlantic Ties in the Spanish Empire: Brihuega, Spain, and Puebla, Mexico, 1560-1620
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Ottoman Empire and the World Around It (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Portuguese Empire in Asia, 1500-1700: A Political and Economic History
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The Roman Empire: Economy, Society and Culture
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Spanish Labyrinth: An Account of the Social and Political Background of the Spanish Civil War (Canto Classics)
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Mongol Empire Between Myth and Reality: Studies in Anthropological History (Iran Studies) - Removed
- 2017-12-13[PDF] The New Empire of Debt: The Rise and Fall of an Epic Financial Bubble
No comments for "[PDF] The Enlightenment on Trial: Ordinary Litigants and Colonialism in the Spanish Empire".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.