Posted on 2018-01-15, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Jacques Derrida | Publisher: University Of Chicago Press | Category: Philosophy | Language: English | Page: 312 | ISBN: 0226144321 | ISBN13: 9780226144320 |
Description: In this newest installment in Chicagos series of Jacques Derridas seminars, the renowned philosopher attempts one of his most ambitious goals: the first truly philosophical argument against the death penalty. While much has been written against the death penalty, Derrida contends that Western philosophy is massively, if not always overtly, complicit with a logic in which a sovereign state has the right to take a life. Haunted by this notion, he turns to the key places where such logic has been establishedand to the place it has been most effectively challenged: literature. With his signature genius and patient yet dazzling readings of an impressive breadth of texts, Derrida examines everything from the Bible to Plato to Camus to Jean Genet, with special attention to Kant and postWorld War II juridical texts, to draw the landscape of death penalty discourses. Keeping clearly in view the death rows and execution chambers of the United States, he shows how arguments surrounding cruel and unusual punishment depend on what he calls an anesthesial logic, which has also driven the development of death penalty technology from the French guillotine to lethal injection. Confronting a demand for philosophical rigor, he pursues provocative analyses of the shortcomings of abolitionist discourse. Above all, he argues that the death penalty and its attendant technologies are products of a desire to put an end to one of the most fundamental qualities of our finite existence: the radical uncertainty of when we will die. Arriving at a critical juncture in historyespecially in the United States, one of the last Christian-inspired democracies to resist abolitionThe Death Penalty is both a timely response to an important ethical debate and a timeless addition to Derridas esteemed body of work.
The Death Penalty, Volume I (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35354
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida) - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Beast and the Sovereign, Volume I (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida) - Removed
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Heidegger: The Question of Being and History (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida) - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Heidegger: The Question of Being and History (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida) - Removed
- 2020-07-24Heidegger: The Question of Being and History (The Seminars of Jacques Derrida) - Removed
- 2018-01-11[PDF] The Voyages of Jacques Cartier (Heritage)
- 2018-01-02[PDF] The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Vol. Book XI) (The Seminar of Jacques Lacan) - Removed
- 2017-11-26[PDF] Philosophy, Art, and the Specters of Jacques Derrida
- 2017-11-09[PDF] The Trace of God: Derrida and Religion
- 2017-10-25[PDF] To Follow: The Wake of Jacques Derrida (The Frontiers of Theory)
- 2017-02-10[PDF] The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Vol. Book XI) (The Seminar of Jacques Lacan) - Removed
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Filosofia del terrore. Dialoghi con Jurgen Habermas e Jacques Derrida [Italian]
- 2021-03-12Deconstructing the Death Penalty: Derrida's Seminars and the New Abolitionism
- 2021-02-15Deconstructing the Death Penalty: Derrida's Seminars and the New Abolitionism
- 2018-01-25[PDF] The Case for the Corporate Death Penalty: Restoring Law and Order on Wall Street
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Against Capital Punishment: The Anti-Death Penalty Movement in America, 1972-1994
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Dead Man Walking: The Eyewitness Account Of The Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate
- 2017-12-27[PDF] The Death Penalty: An American History
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Consistently Opposing Killing: From Abortion to Assisted Suicide, the Death Penalty, and War
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.