[PDF] The Chinese Mafia: Organized Crime, Corruption, and Extra-Legal Protection (Clarendon Studies in Criminology)
Posted on 2018-01-25, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Peng Wang | Publisher: Oxford University Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 252 | ISBN: 0198758405 | ISBN13: 9780198758402 |
Description: Utilising individual interviews and focus group discussions, primarily from two Chinese cities, The Chinese Mafia: Organized Crime, Corruption, and Extra-Legal Protection contributes to the understanding of organized crime and corruption in the Chinese context, filing a significant gap in criminological literature, by investigating how extra-legal protectors-corrupt public officials and street gangsters-emerge, evolve and operate in a rapidly changing society. China's economic reforms have been accompanied by a surge of social problems, such as ineffective legal institutions, booming black markets and rampant corruption. This has resulted in the rise of extra-legal means of protection and enforcement: such is the demand for protection that cannot be fulfilled by state-sponsored institutions. This book develops a new socio-economic theory of mafia emergence, incorporating Granovetter's argument on social embeddedness into Gambetta's economic theory of the mafia, to suggest that the rise of the Chinese mafia is primarily due to the negative influence of guanxi (a Chinese version of personal connections) on the effectiveness of the formal legal system. This interplay has two major consequences. First, the weakened ability of the formal legal system sees street gangsters (the 'Black Mafia') providing protection and quasi law enforcement. Second, it allows for escalating abuse of power by public officials as a result, corrupt officials (the 'Red Mafia') sell public appointments, exchange illegal benefits with businesses and protect local gangs. Together, these outcomes have seen street gangs shift their operations away from traditional areas (e.g. gambling, prostitution and drug distribution), whilst corrupt public officials have moved to offer illegal services to the criminal underworld, including the safeguarding organized crime groups and protection of illegal entrepreneurs. A study of crime and deviance located within a fast growing economy, The Chinese Mafia offers a unique understanding of these activities within contemporary Chinese society and a new perspective for understanding the interaction between corruption and organized crime. It will be of interest to academics and students engaged in the fields of criminology and criminal justice, sociology, and political science, with particular interest for those researching China and Chinese politics and governance.
The Chinese Mafia: Organized Crime, Corruption, and Extra-Legal Protection (Clarendon Studies in Criminology).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35650
- 2018-01-20[PDF] The CIA as Organized Crime: How Illegal Operations Corrupt America and the World
- 2020-10-07Illegal Mining: Organized Crime, Corruption, and Ecocide in a Resource Scarce World
- 2018-01-22[PDF] The Chinese Kitchen Garden: Growing Techniques and Family Recipes from a Classic Cuisine
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Chinese Kitchen Diary: 30 Quick and Easy Chinese Recipes (Chinese Cooking Cookbook)
- 2013-11-08Organized Crime, Corruption, and Crime Prevention: Essays in Honor of Ernesto U. Savona
- 2018-01-16[PDF] The Problem of Jobs: Liberalism, Race, and Deindustrialization in Philadelphia (Historical Studies of Urban America) - Removed
- 2017-12-17[PDF] The Foundations of Arabic Linguistics: Sabawayhi and Early Arabic Grammatical Theory (Studies in Semitic Languages and Linguistics)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] The Beginnings of Medieval Romance: Fact and Fiction, 1150-1220 (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- 2017-11-19[PDF] The Globalization of Advertising: Agencies, Cities and Spaces of Creativity (Routledge Studies in Human Geography)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] The 1967 Arab-Israeli War: Origins and Consequences (Cambridge Middle East Studies)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] The Globalization of Advertising: Agencies, Cities and Spaces of Creativity (Routledge Studies in Human Geography)
- 2021-03-03The Gig Mafia: How Small Networks and High Speed Digital Funds Transfers Have Changed the Face of Organized Crime
- 2020-12-10Mafia Life Love, Death, and Money at the Heart of Organized Crime
- 2018-06-06Mafia Life Love, Death, and Money at the Heart of Organized Crime
- 2017-11-26[PDF] The Everything Mafia Book: True-life accounts of legendary figures, infamous crime families, and nefarious deeds
- 2020-04-26Murder in the Garment District: The Grip of Organized Crime and the Decline of Labor in the United States
- 2018-06-02Empire of Crime Opium and the Rise of Organized Crime in the British Empire
- 2018-05-11Empire of Crime: Opium and the Rise of Organized Crime in the British Empire
- 2018-02-01[PDF] The Making of the Chinese Middle Class: Small Comfort and Great Expectations (The Sciences Po Series in International Relations and Political Economy) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.